Photo
- - - - -

Refurbing A Subframe.

Best Answer Jools33 , 17 September 2015 - 06:52 PM

Rubber cones if they're old, brake pipes, check the radius arm pins and bearings. I would replace the bushes with rubber, a lot of people don't recommend using poly front or back.

That's interesting, my previous involvment with restoring I used poly bushes on a Cobra & a Marlin (kit cars). However I have not been involved with Minis since 70/80's. I will be guided by current vogue & experience.

Contemplating swapping the cones for springs, plenty of bits to do before I need to decide on that move anyway, like getting rid of the ever present rustworm.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jools33

Jools33

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

OK folks bit of advice needed here from those that have gone before.

I am just about to drop the rear subframe on my pickup. The subframe itself is in reasonable nick. I intend to clean it up & repaint it.

My question is what parts should I replace whilst it is off the vehicle & if replaced what with?

I already know I need to replace the 3-way brake connector.

Thanks in anticipation.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

Brake lines, fuel lines. On the subbie itself check the radius arm bearings are good, the brake quadrants as well. Anything that can be undone and removed is a likely candidate.

#3 Jools33

Jools33

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

Brake lines, fuel lines. On the subbie itself check the radius arm bearings are good, the brake quadrants as well. Anything that can be undone and removed is a likely candidate.

Thanks I have it dropped now & brake lines & connectors are on my list. What about the bushes going to poly? Does it make a difference?

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:05 PM

Rubber cones if they're old, brake pipes, check the radius arm pins and bearings. I would replace the bushes with rubber, a lot of people don't recommend using poly front or back.

#5 Jools33

Jools33

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:52 PM   Best Answer

That's interesting, my previous involvment with restoring I used poly bushes on a Cobra & a Marlin (kit cars). However I have not been involved with Minis since 70/80's. I will be guided by current vogue & experience.

Contemplating swapping the cones for springs, plenty of bits to do before I need to decide on that move anyway, like getting rid of the ever present rustworm.

#6 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

Don't think springs are recommended either ... cones are still the way to go

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users