Photo
- - - - -

Cleaning Hub Bearings

Best Answer Stevie W , 20 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

Hi Bob,

I had to do the same thing as you after the grease in one of my rear hub bearings became contaminated.

I got hold of an old (but clean) cereal bowl and a high quality non-shedding paint brush. The bearing was soaked in new white spirit and the brush was used to remove all the grease from around the rollers and cage.

For the bearings and your skins sake, use disposable vinyl gloves when cleaning the bearing!! 

I emptied the now dirty white spirit, cleaned the bowl and rinsed the bearing off in clean white spirit. The bearing was then allowed to dry-off naturally (didn't use any cloth because of the risk of any lint getting into the bearing). 

The bearing was then carefully re-packed with Castrol LM grease and reassembled into the hub.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Steve.   

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bob540

bob540

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:46 PM

I had my bearings packed with grease and ready to fit but the grease got contaminated so I want to completely remove all grease, clean them and start over. Anyone know what would the best way to do it? I found a few people saying to use paint thinners or methylated spirit and using a non-shed paint brush to push the liquid into and the grease out of the cavity. That's what I'm planning to do unless someone knows of a better way?

#2 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:01 PM   Best Answer

Hi Bob,

I had to do the same thing as you after the grease in one of my rear hub bearings became contaminated.

I got hold of an old (but clean) cereal bowl and a high quality non-shedding paint brush. The bearing was soaked in new white spirit and the brush was used to remove all the grease from around the rollers and cage.

For the bearings and your skins sake, use disposable vinyl gloves when cleaning the bearing!! 

I emptied the now dirty white spirit, cleaned the bowl and rinsed the bearing off in clean white spirit. The bearing was then allowed to dry-off naturally (didn't use any cloth because of the risk of any lint getting into the bearing). 

The bearing was then carefully re-packed with Castrol LM grease and reassembled into the hub.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Steve.   

#3 bob540

bob540

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

Hi Bob,

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Steve.   

Perfect, that's what I'll do so. Thanks Steve :)

#4 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:37 PM

No problem Bob :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users