#1 Zenob1

Zenob1

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:38 PM

Hiya,

Is there a prefered option with dizzys? I have a ducelier and I have to say it is somewhat problematic requiring me to readjust the points gap on a regular basis (6 to 8 weeks) It has had new points, condensor, cap and rotor.

I get the impression that ducelier are inferior to Lucas - is that opinion or based on fact?

If I do change the dizzy and opt for a lucas - which one?

I have an A+ 998 in an 1984 Mayfair (pre disks) and I'm pretty sure its not the origianal motor.

Thanks

Matt

#2 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:55 PM

Hiya,

Is there a prefered option with dizzys? I have a ducelier and I have to say it is somewhat problematic requiring me to readjust the points gap on a regular basis (6 to 8 weeks) It has had new points, condensor, cap and rotor.

I get the impression that ducelier are inferior to Lucas - is that opinion or based on fact?

If I do change the dizzy and opt for a lucas - which one?

I have an A+ 998 in an 1984 Mayfair (pre disks) and I'm pretty sure its not the origianal motor.

Thanks

Matt

hi matt all i can say is to save money and time in the long run and get yourself a electronic dizzy, there more reliable and more up to date with modern day standards ? :w00t:
the misses mini is a 1000 with a stage 1 kit on it and ive fitted a metro elec dizzy with new coil,cap,and rotor arm and its brill more responsive, starts 1st time every time and its smother ??

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

I’ve got the :w00t: Ducelier dissi and only owned the car for just over a year and I’ve already forgotten how many points and condensers it's been through as there not as good as the lucas ones.

Plus I have to keep re-adjusting the timing every 2 -3 weeks as well. and thinking about it, it’s never once idled without misfiring slightly. :w00t:

And from what I’ve been told they only fitted them because at the time of manufacture around 84ish there was a shortage of Lucas ones.

#4 Zenob1

Zenob1

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:43 AM

Oh yeah I forgot about the misfire at idle...

Maybe it is the original engine?

Matt

#5 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

Oh yeah I forgot about the misfire at idle...

Thank fcuk for that I thought I was going mad trying to find out why, and thought it was the only one that was doing it.

#6 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

dont worry ive a duccelier its utter pants. it eats condensers. about 5 or 6 a year and idle is also dodgy thinking about it

#7 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

you guys should try to get a group discount from aldon!

#8 clarks.2006

clarks.2006

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

You guys deffo need the electronic ignition :w00t: I dont mess around with poo points no more.

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:24 AM

The Metro electronic dizzy (type 64DE4) was never made in a configuration that works well with the 998 engine's standard cam and setup. It is possible to fit it to the engine but the dizzy's mechanical bits need to be refined a little to get the best use from it which is highly skilled work. An easier solution is to use the Magnetronic system (which is based on the electronic module from the 64DE4 and so in use is very similar to a well setup Metro unit) or the Aldon Ignitor both of which allow your engine to keep it's original timing curves as matched to the cam. Sadly neither of these are designed to fit the nasty Ducellier unit so you may end up having to source a new dizzy if you want electronics.

#10 Zenob1

Zenob1

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:35 AM

Cheers Dan.

But which dizzy would I need to swap for? Is there a sraight Lucas swap or am I looking at somthing a little more exotic like an aldon complete unit or a "123"?

Clearly there are a few of us interested !!!! :w00t:

Matt

#11 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

just get a lucas dizzy from a 998 (must be a+ if your engine is) and fit it along with the electronic kits dan mentioned. then send the ducellier to hell.

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:00 PM

That's the stuff, try to get one from a 998 of pretty much the same age as your engine and it should have the right guts for your motor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users