4 replies to this topic

#1 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:52 PM

are these engine cleeaning products like D-tox any good. and will they damage a mini in anyway??
also has anyone ever used this nos octane booster for track days?? and if so do you notice the improved performance and will it damage the car??

#2 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:25 AM

i used one of those cleaner things when i first got my mini, and i suppose it did help. the engine was running really badly then anyway. if your engines running alright i really wouldnt bother though. but no it shouldnt damage your engine.

don't know about the nos octane booster, but i wouldnt buy it, sounds like a load of chocolate salty balls to me. i'd rather run some super unleaded in it, thats supposed to give you a higher octane value anyway.

#3 Stoo

Stoo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:09 AM

Octane boosters - Don't know that one specifically but unless you have an ECU driven car with knock sensor you'll not get any benefit.

....That is unless you advance the timing to take advantage of the higher octane. If you're after the competitive edge it may just be worth it. Personally I can't be arsed.

Mine does seem quieter on 99 tho' :w00t:

Octane boosters - Don't know that one specifically but unless you have an ECU driven car with knock sensor you'll not get any benefit.

....That is unless you advance the timing to take advantage of the higher octane. If you're after the competitive edge it may just be worth it. Personally I can't be arsed.

Mine does seem quieter on 99 tho' :w00t:

#4 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:31 PM

ok cool i think i will try that d-tox stuff.

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:20 AM

I currently use the Nos 6point booster, but only as a fix until i can get hold of the right ECU. The reason I use it is because i have increased the compression ratio but the spark is happening at the wrong time resulting in pinking, not a problem with the 99 octane but its not sold everywhere.

I wouldnt buy the expensive octane booster for a standard to mild tune engine as the fuels available at the pumps is more than adequate. Its not untill you start increasing the compression ratio beyond 11.5:1 that you need to start thinking about it. Tesco 99 is becoming more and more available and more than up to the job. There are a few filling stations around the UK now pumping 102 0ctane, but thats hella expensive.

Sandard engine and octane booster = big hole in your pocket for no 'noticeble' difference

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users