AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

Yup, agreed it does look like a 1275 to me too. A 93 sprite would have been fitted with a low compression 1275 as standard anyway, assuming it's still got the original engine with it, that is. With the ridiculous price of 1275's these days, if the engine's any good, you'd probably be better off splitting it and selling it separately. 

#17 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

I wouldn't sell it if it was a 1275, Thats the only reason I bought the car for the engine, As I said above the engine number starts with 99 so would make it a 998.

#18 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:40 PM

It wouldn't be the first 1275 block that someone had put a 998 engine number on in a pathetic attempt to try and fool their insurer!

As others have said, it doesn't appear to have the tappet covers that a 998 would have. But, as you've got the head off it should be easy enough to tell just by measuring the bores with a ruler, or a tape measure. From memory, if it's a 998, then I think the bores should be somewhere around 65mm, where as they'll be more like 70mm or so, if it's a 1275.

#19 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:25 PM

It wouldn't be the first 1275 block that someone had put a 998 engine number on in a pathetic attempt to try and fool their insurer!

As others have said, it doesn't appear to have the tappet covers that a 998 would have. But, as you've got the head off it should be easy enough to tell just by measuring the bores with a ruler, or a tape measure. From memory, if it's a 998, then I think the bores should be somewhere around 65mm, where as they'll be more like 70mm or so, if it's a 1275.

Ok will give them a measure tomorrow :D

#20 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

Got no tappet covers, has it got WFM 1254 on the block, raised casting? Mart.

Looks like it is a 1275, bore measures 70mm (same as the original engine for the car) and has the above casting numbers on it... :shifty:

#21 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

Looks like it is a 1275, bore measures 70mm (same as the original engine for the car) and has the above casting numbers on it... :shifty:

Nah mate, on second thoughts, I reckon it must be a common ole' 998. Tells ya what, I'll take it off yer hands for £50, and we'll say no more about it!! ;D

(Just give me your bank account details, and an associate of mine will wire you the money from Nigeria!)

#22 bikenutmart

bikenutmart

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:07 PM

And if I ever meet you, you can buy me a pint !! as I started this off. Cheers Mart.

#23 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

Nah mate, on second thoughts, I reckon it must be a common ole' 998. Tells ya what, I'll take it off yer hands for £50, and we'll say no more about it!! ;D

(Just give me your bank account details, and an associate of mine will wire you the money from Nigeria!)

Ok, Pm me and I'll send my details over.

And if I ever meet you, you can buy me a pint !! as I started this off. Cheers Mart.

Cheers guys :kiss: , I'm glad no one's been interested in it now :lol: , It definitely is a 1275, we measured bores and the stroke. Like you say has probably just been swapped numbers to make it look like a 998, or was just labelled wrong from factory. When I bought it I thought it was funny it didn't have the tappet chests and other signs for 998.

#24 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:44 AM

Bump - £380

#25 nrwilliams

nrwilliams

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:04 AM

£380 with or without an engine? It looks like you are now keeping the engine?

Where in Cornwall are you? Got a post code or nearest town?

Thanks

#26 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

£380 with or without an engine? It looks like you are now keeping the engine?

Where in Cornwall are you? Got a post code or nearest town?

Thanks

Yep £380 without an engine. Pm me for town.

Cheers

#27 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

I'm glad I read that all the way through. I just saw an advert for a mini with no engine, and everyone saying it looked like a 1275. I had a genuine what the hell moment when I thought I was missing something obvious. 

#28 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:40 AM

bump

#29 nrwilliams

nrwilliams

Mini Mad

• Noobies