#1 divy_ed

divy_ed

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:01 PM

Hi peeps,

got a problem with my wiper motor, it's not been used for a while, and when I tried it, it didn't shift, theres power goin to it but no movement,

I dismantled and rebuilt it, but it moved very slow for about a week, then it stopped working again.

Hopefully it's not gonna be a brand new motor and I'm prayin it's gonna be the bushes that need changin, what ya think??? ;D

#2 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:03 PM

Make sure the wiring is sound and terminals clean first. My old Mayfair and Huey both had/have lazy wipers from time to time. I did strip and clean the Mayfair wiper motor which helped, but after that it's always been dodgy wiring.

#3 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:48 AM

Stip the mechanism off the motor and let the motor run freely for an hour or so (power it off a battery charger or something), this should clean up the carbon brushes and copper winding contacts. Check the length of the corabon brushes after to make sure they are still OK.
wash the mechanism down and remove grease, move it by hand to check it turns freely and remove any crud stuck in the bearing points, then re-grease (I used "cavity seal" thined witha little motor oil - a wax-oil similar to under seal but without bitchumen).

Remove the wiper mechanism and grease the inside of the tube, this can get fairly full of crud, and check the wiper mounting points turn freely.

Assemble the whole thing and check it works. ;D

SS

#4 divy_ed

divy_ed

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:23 AM

Cheers peeps, but one more little question, whats the rough length the brushes should be, (I'm pretty new to this) ;D

#5 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:48 AM

Cheers peeps, but one more little question, whats the rough length the brushes should be, (I'm pretty new to this) ;D

Roughly anything over 10mm is fine (black bit only) otherwise the spring will not be pushing hard enough for a decent contact. If they are chiped, burned or cracked, replace. Also check the comutator ring (the area with the copper contacts the brushes touch) is not damaged, clean and smooth.

SS

#6 not so mini

not so mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:56 AM

Hi peeps,

got a problem with my wiper motor, it's not been used for a while, and when I tried it, it didn't shift, theres power goin to it but no movement,

I dismantled and rebuilt it, but it moved very slow for about a week, then it stopped working again.

Hopefully it's not gonna be a brand new motor and I'm prayin it's gonna be the bushes that need changin, what ya think??? ;D

Had the same problem on mine motor worked but no movement.Turned out to be a seized o/side gearbox.Take the wipers off and remove the opperating mechanisium strip it down and regrease it all.

#7 divy_ed

divy_ed

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

cheers peeps, new brushes and a re-build sorted it ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users