Photo

New Hayabusa Kit Soon To Hit The Market!

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#46 Bennyboybusa

Bennyboybusa

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

Check out busamini they do the same thing

http://www.busamini.com

indeed. It's mentioned twice on this thread

My bad, i have a zcar anyway  :shy:

#47 The Elfman

The Elfman

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:31 AM

That's a simular layout to the R1 setup when they reverse the engine, again a very clever idea. Plus it pushes the engine back in the car a bit. 

Its not only the power of the engine but also the lack of weight that will be so noticable in a Mini.

Years ago they fitted an Imp engine on a mini box, although the power was simular the lack of weight made the car handle much better so the car was a lot quicker on track... the Busa is very light compared with an "A" series plus more then enough power and 6 gears.

And if you want more you could always add a Turbo :ohno: I know of a road legal Busa with 708 bhp....and can hit 265+mph .and that's not a miss print.

But I think that's a bit much in a Mini? 

In standard form the engine will last a long time if you make sure it has a suitable sump to make sure you do not get oil surge problems, and also has a good amount of torque for a bike motor so its very usable. 

#48 vetech

vetech

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:45 PM

Quick update,

Engine is now in and running, to celebrate we have booked a stand at the Mini Fair 2016 at Staffordshire County Showground on the 31st January.

Please come along and say hello

http://www.britishmi...-club/mini-fair

#49 The Elfman

The Elfman

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:21 AM

Can you put a clip of it running on You Tube as I am sure it will get a lot of interest for you ?

#50 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:24 AM

Can you put a clip of it running on You Tube as I am sure it will get a lot of interest for you ?

agreed.

#51 vetech

vetech

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

Hi, we are very keen to do this! However, at the moment we are focussing on the Mini Fair at the end of the month, and everything is very clean at the moment. Once we are past the show, we will be taking the car to Curborough just as soon as we can. We plan to video both in the car and externally.

#52 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:50 PM

Going to be the centre of attention I imagine...

Edited by miniQ, 13 January 2016 - 11:50 PM.

#53 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:34 PM

Hey Andy,  

Firstly, loving this kit!!  :D

What is the ground clearance of the engine... perhaps let me rephrase, how much lower is the engine in the sub-frame than standard?

Is there anything cut away from the the original front sub-frame to make the engine fit, I think I saw somewhere a small piece was removed to fit the exhaust?

These 2 things will decide if it's legal for the street in Sydney, Australia.

There are other things but when I spoke to engineer these were his 2 key points.

A bit of background on that, I was keen as mustard for the zcars kit but changing the car from front to rear wheel drive meant that the car would then have to pass ever ADR (Australian Design Rule) for the year it is registered in. Also, the sub-frames can't be modified, however can be strengthened.

#54 vetech

vetech

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:21 PM

Hi, Thanks for your questions. It's very helpful to receive feedback re legislation from different countries.

Regarding your first question, i.e. how low the engine fits in the subframe. We now intend it to sit approx. 3.5mm lower, but if this causes a problem, it could be made to be the same.

Re the second question, subframe mods. On the development vehicle, we modified the subframe in two places - there are images of what we did on our Facebook Page.

We are confident that we can make changes to the exhaust manifold so that it can clear a standard subframe.

The subframe has also been modified on the RHS, when viewed from the front of the car. We can certainly substantially reduce the extent of the mods in this area.

We have received a lot of interest from Australia, and from what you say we now know that subframe mods are more important than we first thought.

We will now see what we can do. If we can avoid any subframe mods, then we will!

It may be that we can alter things such that local "flaring" is required, avoiding any metal removal in one small area.

Thanks again the for useful info.

#55 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:38 AM

The info I mentioned is a few years old, however I believe it's still relevant.

I will speak with the engineer from the roads authority and ask him to check out your site and direct his questions to me and then I will relay them back here.

I'm not sure how this all works in the other states though.

*edit*  email has been sent to that engineer

Edited by cosi, 28 January 2016 - 03:57 AM.

#56 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:14 AM

I received a response from the engineer and it is quoted below. I have asked Peter to join here so this discussion can happen here and there is a record of it for all future potential Aussie buyers of the kit.

Wow!

Looks very nice - I would like to understand the mods to the sub frame that have been necessary. Cut outs may be fine.

As long as it is going into a pre 1974 car then we won't have emissions issues. 

Silencing will need to be adequate and for early cars some upgrading of safety equipment will be required but nothing too dramatic.

I am tempted to build one myself....

Happy to speak to the developer if you like.

#57 ADR Comp

ADR Comp

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:40 AM

Andy,

I am the Australian Vehicle Engineer that Con is referring to above.

I have had a look at the photos on the website and think there is a real chance these can be road legal in Australia.

I would be happy to assist you with the regs we need to work within for this market and to assist people who want to get one on the road in NSW.

Contact me at [email protected] if I can assist.

Cheers

Peter

ADR Compliance Services

#58 vx220

vx220

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

Why am I having a hard time imagining our DVLA or VOSA being as helpful as this!? lol

#59 RossKnight

RossKnight

One heck of a member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Local Club: JKSA MOC

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:53 PM

Why am I having a hard time imagining our DVLA or VOSA being as helpful as this!? lol

takes them months to change a tax class haha

#60 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:32 PM

Interesting write up. http://www.britishmi...-mini-fair-2016

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users