#1 kopi

kopi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:47 PM

Hi all 

Just like to confirm the correct way to do this, as per Sprockets guide. Replaced all my vacuum pipes/fuel trap recently, and the lambda sensor is new. My 92 Jap Spec SPI still has a slight hunting idle that threatens to cut out when i lift the throttle after hard acceleration. 

I followed this process

1. Switched to ignition

2. Used the linkage to open the throttle, and then let go to return to closed throttle 

The photo shows what i see after hearing a couple of clicks. The lost motion link is definitely not centered. Should i go ahead and adjust this? 

Best,

Kopi

Attached Files

#2 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:21 PM

Of course you must (!) center it.

#3 kopi

kopi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:31 PM

Yes sorry let me rephrase. Are the steps that I am following correct? I open the linkage, then let go and allow it to go back to closed position, then adjust the lost motion link. Correct? 

#4 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

Prior to tightening the cable lock nuts the cable should be adjusted as follows:

With the pedal fully released position the lock nuts so that there is equal clearance present on both sides of the throttle lever at the lost motion link and no slack in the cable.

Have a helper who fully depresses the pedal and check that the throttle cam opens fully than check that it returns to the at-rest position when released.

To adjust the cable switch on the ignition and position the stepper motor by moving the cam only to open and fully close the throttle

Note that it is essential for accurate positioning of the stepper motorthat the accelerator pedal switch contacts remain closed so that the ECU recognizes the throttle movement as a command and indexes the stepper motor.

Slacken the adjuster locknut then tighten theadjuster nut until the clearance is is equal on each side of the throttle lever at the lost motion link, tighten the locknut without disturbing this setting. Rechek the adjustment and  switch off the ignition.

( Taken from Haynes for SPI)

I enclose from the German Rover Werkstatt-Handbuch a picture of the lost-motion-link

Gaszugeinstellung_zps7hiylbsp.jpg

Edited by Alpenflitzer, 22 December 2015 - 04:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users