#31 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,862 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

Have you got a garage to keep the classic Mini in?

If not bear in mind that unlike a modern car even a good Mini kept outside will start to deteriorate quite rapidly with every winter especially if used on salted roads......also if used as a daily driver or left parked on the road over night or in public car parks remember Mini's are very vunerable to theft as they have little security compared to all the modern cars parked nearby. Check out the TMF stolen Mini's threads if you don't believe me:-

http://www.theminifo...en-mini-alerts/

Edited by mab01uk, 01 January 2016 - 02:29 PM.

#32 eripmav

eripmav

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:29 PM

No garage or driveway here, sadly mab01uk.

#33 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,911 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:40 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...bsAAOSw5IJWgYMw

Auto car

http://www.ebay.co.u...-0AAOSw8-tWZESb

#34 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,862 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

No garage or driveway here, sadly mab01uk.

Plenty of owners on here don't have a garage or driveway/off street parking and use their Mini's as daily drivers but best to go into this with eyes open and realise you will have to take more care than with a modern vehicle.......ie. don't just lock it and walk away as you will need to add extra security devices as a deterent to low life thieves who know a standard Mini's security is not up to much.

#35 eripmav

eripmav

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:05 PM

sonikk4 - I'm actually watching the first one, it looks rather nice.

mab01uk - are there any specific immobilisers/alarms you'd recommend?

#36 eripmav

eripmav

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:14 PM

Here's what's probably a stupid question. What's the red stuff I see on the underside of some vehicles? Obviously some kind of sealant but is it something readily recommended?

#37 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:31 PM

chances are the cars you need looking at are not going to be that near to you unless you are really lucky, first thing to do is ask on here on the first impressions just from adverts many can be ruled out, leave the possibly stolen cars for those who are happy to own one.

As for security I'd use a full disc lock over the steering wheel on mine if it wasn't locked in the garage, any age and condition mini is ripe for the theives unfortunately.

Edited by CityEPete, 01 January 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#38 eripmav

eripmav

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

So disc locks are effective?

Ok, what's your opinion on the first one sonikk4 linked to? - http://www.ebay.co.u...bsAAOSw5IJWgYMw

#39 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:57 PM

One thing about a Mini auto - I've never driven one myself but believe that they can be driven a bit like a manual i.e. you can manually shift through 4 (?) gears. It is possible to swap out the auto for a manual box, with a change to the front subframe, although the autos have their enthusiasts (and their own forum too, I believe)

The advice on watching out for a new paint job is good advice. I'd look out for something 'honest' so at least you can see what may need to be done in the future.

In terms of the underbody, originally the car would be painted, but most people will have put something on to try to stave off the rust and/or repainted with a newer, potentially better product.

Diskloks are reputed to be the best protection of that kind, but you could also get an alarm and immobiliser fitted. Most people on here will have some combination of the various security devices, especially if the car is parked outdoors.

As for leaving the car outdoors: yes, they do rust, but the real enemy is road salt. In winter you'll need to keep on top of washing the car and using plenty of waxes and polishes. There are also products you can get to inject into all the nooks and crannies and cavities to keep the rust at bay e.g. Dynax, Waxoyl, etc. Fundamentally, however, the car rusts like all 1950s/60s cars rusted, in that there are water traps all over, it wasn't designed not to rust, and the construction and paint weren't as good as they are now.

Of the two links, the green car's probably had a respray (it's lost its Mayfair decals and wouldn't have had a white roof let alone a Webasto), the blue car probably hasn't. Personally I prefer the blue one if only because it's low mileage, seems fairly original (down to the wheel trims!) and has got lots of history with it. The MOT history online for it also looks OK. There are also those who reckon the build quality deteriorated during the late 1980s and into the 1990s. It is however rusting behind the rear bumper, and check the sills carefully to make sure they have the open vents/flutes. (that advice goes for any Mini)

#40 mattmiglia

mattmiglia

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

Isn't there someone on here local to the guy to go along and look at potential purchases?

#41 eripmav

eripmav

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

Thanks some1158, appreciated. I think I'll continue to look - I think the excitement, of finally having enough money to buy one, is controlling me currently. I need to calm down and keep my eyes open.

Do members regularly sell on here or is it literally like a loss of a limb scenario?

#42 eripmav

eripmav

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

mattmiglia - there's nothing really on sale, that local to me, atm. Big ask for someone to do a 1-200 mile drive to check over a car with a stranger:)

#43 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

Certainly looking at several to get your eye in is a good idea - the right one will come along eventually!

#44 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:51 PM

I like the blue Mayfair, my first car was a couple of years earlier than this a 1000 HL in cinnabar. As some1158 says the paintwork looks original as does the interior (Quite a few Auto's around in this condition and nearly always on lower side of average mileage). The sellers description of the car is very refreshing to see and that alone will draw buyers in (61 watchers) without having to look to hard at the pictures of it initially.  

On the other hand and I know this is not what you are looking for as the car needs restoring, but purely as an example (See link below), the price is bang on the car would appear to be as it came off the line at Longbridge. But after that, and on reading the sellers description things go rapidly downhill, probably not unreasonable to assume the car would have easily sold at the asking price if everything was in order which obviously to most people it is not. Gutted really just what I was looking for. How arrogant is that to ask any potential buyer to apply for the V5c. I actually messaged the bloke to say I would have it off him so long as he applied for and recieved the V5c and found the original ignition key, his answer was a no go but he did tell me how easy it was to apply for it myself.  

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

#45 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,862 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

sonikk4 - I'm actually watching the first one, it looks rather nice.

mab01uk - are there any specific immobilisers/alarms you'd recommend?

As others have mentioned I would also recommend a Disklok, link below has an AutoExpress product test to show its the best mechanical device:-

http://www.ovat.be/A...AutoExpress.pdf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users