Photo

5 Inch Speakers In Dashboard

Best Answer roberts , 05 January 2016 - 03:17 PM

Unfortunately, 5" don't fit - you could just about squeeze them in, but you would then be compromising the strength of the dashboard and also they are slightly bigger than the dashboard (so they would stick out and touch your dash rails - top and bottom). We went through all of this because we really wanted to be able to offer 5" speakers in our dashboards.

So, it's 4" speaker in the dash or find somewhere else to mount your 5" speakers.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Safely

Safely

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Local Club: Robin Hood

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

Hi All

I have had a look on here and seen plenty of discussion about speaker size in dashboards.

With a Rover Spi 3 clock dash, could you get 5 inch speakers in them with some modification / strengthening? I see talk about rear mounting them, but I am not that keen on the look. Can you front mount with the standard speaker covers, with the coil / magnet going through the air vent holes?

Any pictures would be appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

#2 Swannmini

Swannmini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:39 PM

I have just fitted some 4" speakers in the front this morning and the fit perfectly. Also sound really good too!

#3 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:15 PM

I guess you could either bring the speakers further out on some spacers or you'll have to make the holes bigger.

#4 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:17 PM   Best Answer

Unfortunately, 5" don't fit - you could just about squeeze them in, but you would then be compromising the strength of the dashboard and also they are slightly bigger than the dashboard (so they would stick out and touch your dash rails - top and bottom). We went through all of this because we really wanted to be able to offer 5" speakers in our dashboards.

So, it's 4" speaker in the dash or find somewhere else to mount your 5" speakers.

#5 Safely

Safely

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for the responses - appreciated.

Looks like its 4 inch speakers are the way forward. Any recommendations, to link in with a 10inch sub in the boot?

#6 Callummax

Callummax

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:26 AM

Its probably a stupid question, but did you fit them into the air vent holes?

if you did, where did you re-rout the air hose to come out? or did you just blank it off?

C

#7 Safely

Safely

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:20 PM

Not done it yet - might not go down this route as getting 4 inch speakers to match in with a sub for frequency range looks to be difficult - not that I know much about it!

Might go down the pod route that optimise do, then I get to have 5 inch speakers with tweeters...

I was going to try and make something up so fresh air could still enter the cabin, but the easiest would be to blank off.

#8 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:51 AM

Its probably a stupid question, but did you fit them into the air vent holes?

if you did, where did you re-rout the air hose to come out? or did you just blank it off?

C

Yes.

Bin them, blank the holes off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users