TiMtImInYtImTiM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:10 PM

Hi all,

A new year and a new fault with our Rover Cooper Sport MPI.

Whilst driving and at random times the car suddenly looses interior power and the engine tries or does stall.

The headlights stay on but the engine and the heater/wipers/electric windows all cut out for a second or 2 before power is restored and everything returns to normal. 

The car starts perfectly and will sit and idle quite happily. On some journeys the fault does not occur at all. It is not caused by bumps so It not something obviously loose.

The fault started to occur after I removed the cigarette lighter. This was wired into the fuse box on the AUX fuse, and earthed to the body. I removed the wire from the fuse box and the earth from the body. I do not see how this could have caused the problem?

I have checked the fuse box several times and all the fuses are ok. If it was a fuse problem surely the fuse would blow and power would not return? Instead power is lost for a couple of seconds at most and returns without any intervention.

I am not sure where to start with this fault. I has to be something loose that causes power to cut out intermittently. It is not a frequent issue. Sometimes it happens pulling off the drive, other times when miles into a drive.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? 

#2 Blatherskite

Blatherskite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:41 PM

What I suggest is to get a circuit diagram (Haynes is your friend), copy it, and trace all the affected circuits with a yellow pen. Where they join up, and back to the supply, is likely where the fault is. It could be a poor or corroded contact. Dpn't forget that the failing components may share an earth as well, so follow that side of the circuit too.

#3 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:27 PM

You probably have a problem with your earth points. They need to be cleaned up for a good connection. For the wipers and heater blower earth see connector C550, pages 25 and 29 of the first PDF  and page 191 of the second PDF for the physical location.

For the ECU earth see connector C558 on page 16 of the first PDF and page 193 of the second PDF for the physical location.

http://www.theminifo...attach_id=68240

http://www.theminifo...attach_id=68242

Another possibility could be the ignition switch.

Edited by xrocketengineer, 06 January 2016 - 02:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users