7 replies to this topic

#1 DanJones96

DanJones96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:19 PM

Hey guys im looking into a B16 conversion. What needed to fully drop a b16 into the mini? Ive seen you can buy allspeed subframes, driveshafts, lower arms ect... Is this pretty much the only route to go? If so how often do 2nd hand subframes come about ect? £780 for subframe, £300 for drive shafts and £200 for lower arms is alot brand new

#2 minilee94

minilee94

Up Into Fourth

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:18 AM

You will need space either squeeze it into your round nose but will need custom manifold etc or clubman front you got a lot more room using after market manifold etc

You will need
Frame
Arms
Bigger brakes
Shafts either cut or shut ones or all speed
Loom making up wired by Wilson should be able to do this or Vdm motor sport or Watsons but there kit is around £900 with a ecu etc

You will need to modify the steering rack plate by counter sinking the bolts and shaving the plate down
Fettle with exhaust or go full custom like me
Either cut bulkhead for inlet manifold or cut the inlet manifold
Modify the gear linkage

Frames don't often come up forsale really either
There are ways around the bottom arms is using standard type mini arms with rose jointed tie bars but you will need to drill out the frame to suit bolt size and take out the spacers all speed have fitted for bottom arms

Other company's out there are
All speed
Watsons
Minitec

Over all I prefer the simplicity of all speed

Also you can not a lot of people bother but is the final drive of the Honda engine watsons do a modified final drive but is £500

Hope this helps and it might be idea to become a member over at 16vmini club lots and lots on there

But over all the conversion isn't really hard just takes abit of time and know how and money

Edited by minilee94, 16 January 2016 - 12:21 AM.

#3 DanJones96

DanJones96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

Okay thank you very much, after abit more reaearch im definatly going to give it a shot, probably aim to have it complete in 12-18 months time so for now im just going to scan ebay for a few months see what i can find. Can i not just keep the roundnose front and get someone to make a custom exh manifold? Also, how safe would a 'cut and shut' driveshaft be? I could easily chop and reweld the shafts or get someone at work to weld it

#4 DanJones96

DanJones96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

I have a budget of around 2.5k but, id much prefer to keep the cost to a minimum, think i could do it for 2k with 2nd hand frame if i can get one

#5 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:51 AM

People make their own sub frames. If you can weld then that's a possibility as is making the driveshafts.

Take a look on the 16v mini forum and you will get a lot of tips and tricks from people who have completed these conversions years ago or just starting out.

#6 minilee94

minilee94

Up Into Fourth

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:01 PM

You can keep the standard manifold in the round nose but is very very tight for a rad etc especially if you have brake servo etc

I had s round nose and when you off there engine up to round nose you will see how tight it is

2k will be a tight budget I think as arms shafts etc sre not cheap

#7 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:05 PM

Take your 2 grand budget, double it and you will closer to the mark! You will be surprised how little things that you need start adding up!

#8 DanJones96

DanJones96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

I could double the budget if needed but as of now ( only planning) i would like to keep it under 2.5k. Ive got about 10 months before i plan on buying the subframe so in gonna keep an eye out for 2nd hand ones on ebay or on forums and yes id really like to keep the standard roundnose. I want it to look as orignial as possible from the outside, not a fan of extended fronts may possibly get flip front if its really needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users