9 replies to this topic

#1 Plucky

Plucky

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:29 PM

first of all just want to say Hi. I got pointed in this direction by some people over at talkaudio forums.

To cut a long story short I own a '89 mini with a 1380 engine. I bought this car the way it is and when I forst got it it ran great although did drink ridiculous amounts of petrol. It was running a little rich as well.

I then got given a work van from my company and the mini went in the garge and it stayed there for about a year. last month I got it out and got her started (took a while) but it was conking out and spluttering. I believe I have thewrong carb on the engine and am now after a HIF44 carb to go on. Whats happening is if I drive it, it pulls welkl for about 20 seconds, and then it deterioates to dropping all power about 3k-3.5k revs and then it will just cut out.

Although the carb is wrong it ran before so it should run now! What other stuff do I need to check over. I dont mean to sound stupid here but i'm not too good on cars so in simpleton terms would be much appriciated.

One thing I have done is take the fuel inlet pipe off the carb and turn it over and theres plenty of petrol pumping through!

Mucho Gracias

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

does sound like fuel starvation

#3 Plucky

Plucky

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:50 PM

Ok, theres definately fuel getting to the carb. Any ideas what I could check?

#4 the old git

the old git

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

How old is the fuel? After that year, did you drain it ALL out and fill with fresh? If not, you get the problems you first described, difficulty starting, poor running. Fuel standing a month will give problems-----a year!!!!!!

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:23 PM

Yeah, unleaded has a maximum shelf life of 6 months. Drain it and refill. Don't go thinking that the useless fuel isn't flammable though, it's still dangerous but not potent enough for the engine.

Try that first to find out if there are other problems.

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:57 PM

Now heres a question. Where is the best place to take your Knackered fuel to dispose of it correctly????

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:46 PM

Good question, I'm sure the local tip wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. You could probably get away with chucking it in the oil tank while they aren't looking but it's not really what it's for, and probably a bit dangerous!

Edited by Dan, 18 August 2006 - 11:49 PM.

#8 Plucky

Plucky

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:01 AM

You could all well be right. Its the same fuel thats been in there! I will drain it out and pump the rest through. Where is the best place to drain it from?

#9 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:55 AM

Directly underneath your fuel tank at the rear, you'll find a rubber hose coming from inside your boot, through the boot floor to the underneath where it will join the cooper fuel line that runs the length of the car. I found its easiest to drain it by disconnecting the rubber hose and sticking it in a container. Alternatively, Halfrauds now do an easy syphon kit (that should help the chavs steal fuel! :D ).

#10 Plucky

Plucky

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:23 PM

Well shes running fine now. i fitted an Electronic distributor which helped straight away.

I dipped the tank as the fuel gauge doesnt work (is on the long list of niggly bits to do) and there wasnt much fuel in there so I filled it right up with fresh petrol and let her run. Had a cup of tea and a cigarette and left her running.

It goes like a dream now!!! Cheers guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users