#1 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

Hey,

I am pretty new to this but i have been reading up for a while now and i think i have got the jist of what i need and what i need to do but if i tell you what i know can you please tell me if i am missing anything or am wrong with anything.

Right i know that i will need.

some Rustoleum paint
rollers (I know i need a certain type but i cant remeber what type it is now)
white spirit
a sponge for the hard to reach places
wet and dry paper
and some form of compound

I am probably missing some thing here, if i am could you please let me know because i am a complete newbie to this.

At the moment my car is covered in a standard grey prime, is this ok for a base coat or should i remove all of this and apply a diffrent kind of base coat?

I take it that the paint is mixed with the white spirit to some degre but again here i do not have a clue? After this i should be applying very thin coats and after every 2 or so layers i should be going over the surface with wet and dry and i should be continuing this technique untill a finish i am satisfied with is achived. after this i should buff the surface with the compound?

Is this technique correct? if not could you please correct me and give me as much advice as posibble, i need all the help i can get.

Thanks in advance, Tomm

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:24 AM

why don;t you spray it man. borrow a compressor and diy spray. would be a better finish and rubbing down an entire car is going to be nackering.

but if not. the only thing i can think thats missing is rubbing compound. gloves, roller tray.

as for finish and way to do it. you'll have to wait for someone else. i just slap hammerite on my car a while back. never cared about the finish too much. it just looked better than rust/filler and black piant on a blue car.

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:14 PM

Someone on here is doing just that at the moment

Take a look

#4 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:25 PM

Why didn't you just ask in the main thread about this method dude???????? lol you silly billy. :-

#5 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

sorry mr retro, Been on your site reading up about the technique, had a pretty bad eye ache at the end of it. Very detailed description its been a great help.

Sorry, Tomm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users