#1 Lund

Lund

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:28 AM

:D Hello

I just thought I'd share the joys of owning an old Land Rover with you! So I suppose you want to know a bit about the vehicle! Its 1972 tax exempt Series 111, 2.25 Petrol. Light green in colour, yes thats the name of the colour...typical Land Rover! The colour originated from the world war, where the cockpits of the planes were painted in this very colour, I guess they had lots of this paint left over after the war and so Land Rover being Land Rover bought it in huge amounts cheaply, I guess!? ;D Its used quite often, great fun! Leaning it into the corners, leaf sprung of course :dontgetit: . It's a SWB 88 " and for those of you who dont know, this simply means Short Wheel Base, and the 88, is the measurement of the chassis. As they also produced LWB 109", you guessed it Long Wheel Base... now were getting somewhere :(

Since we have aquired it, (me and dad) we've done quite a bit of work to it including, chassis work, body work, the mechanical side of things etc. So all in all she's looking well for her age. We have fitted LWB size wheels and tyres 750 x 16's with some Colway all terrain rubber. What a difference from the old cross ply tyres! Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... :D

We have had much fun in this Land Rover, attending classic car shows (which is sometimes frowned upon, as many people dont see them as classics ?!) green laning, and also off roading on a set course at Billing Land Rover Show.

Ok enough of the talk, I think its time for a few pics (with the old cross-ply tyres on):

Posted Image

&

Posted Image

&

Posted Image

So there you have it, I dont know what you Mini nuts will make of this but we love it! Will post more pictures of work done and maintenance etc...

Tom :D

Edited by Lund, 21 August 2006 - 11:33 AM.

#2 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:35 AM

Love it !!!! It looks gr8t. ;D:D

#3 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:51 AM

Very nice indeed. Our family friend has a Lightweight SWB and a 110..

Perhaps see you at a show some time!

#4 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

Nice Landy LunD!! My first car was an ex-military Defender 90, and Landy's have been in the family since I was born, I was bought home from the hospital in a SIIA LWB soft-top!! ;D

(oh, not to be a fiddly-picker but the 88"/109"/110" etc actually refers to the distance between the front and rear hubs - except on the 90 where the distance is actually 92.5" but LR decided 90 sounded better! :()

#5 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:27 PM

lovely landy lund. It was a choice between landys or a mini when I was first looking at cars. Almost bought a lightweight before I got the mini. we sold our 101 earlier this year, which was a bit of a bu99er. Still, theres always the champ in the garage. except now the front axle is knackered. ho hum.

#6 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:28 PM

Nice one. I've noticed before that mini owners have big respect for Land Rovers. We may have something in common -- something to do with keeping going against all the odds. ;D

#7 Lund

Lund

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:35 AM

Nice one. I've noticed before that mini owners have big respect for Land Rovers. We may have something in common -- something to do with keeping going against all the odds. ;D

:(

Yes!

#8 minimental

minimental

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:45 PM

good one! i have a 90 v8 which was built for offroading in the garage alongside the lumps of mini waiting to be built unfortunatly it isnt used as much as i would like due to the amount it drinks (being a 3.5 v8) it is not very economical!
Reuben

#9 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:27 PM

Remind me one day to post a piccy of my old landy.

Mine was a SWB 90, but had a deffender front, I think I highered it by a few inchs, and put some jungle wide wheels onto it, it was also the pic up version.

Astra GTe Seats, the steering wheel was right between your legs, no chance on staping on to the brakes..... but that was a 4 cyl engine, I wanted to up rate it to a V8, but sold it before that plan came into force....

#10 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:04 PM

Hey thats really cool I like that. I never been into Land Rovers but think that looks really nice. They are too slow for me on tarmac tho although I am sure they hold their own in fields.

#11 Lund

Lund

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:59 PM

Hey thats really cool I like that. I never been into Land Rovers but think that looks really nice. They are too slow for me on tarmac tho although I am sure they hold their own in fields.

:w00t: Thank you for your kind comments! We've done pedal to metal in that Landy lol reached about 70mph, wiv the larger tyres etc, but seeking an over-drive for it, as a 5th gear basically... :D

#12 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:34 PM

very nice

#13 minimental

minimental

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:27 PM

Thank you for your kind comments! We've done pedal to metal in that Landy lol reached about 70mph, wiv the larger tyres etc, but seeking an over-drive for it, as a 5th gear basically...

Haha i am getting about 80 out of mine! :1eye: ,(but i do have a v8 and 5 gears so maybe it isnt that impressive)

but think it could be something to do with the gearing, dont know of many other land rovers that hit 60 in less than 10secs

another factor could be the aerodynamics, landys make minis look streamlined :-

cheers
Reuben

#14 advantage998

advantage998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:14 PM

Cool, i've also just restored a series 3 swb (not mine tho)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Should really take some pics of it finished to be honest.

I've always known the colour as 'slate green'

#15 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:03 PM

Went to the Landy show at Malvern today. Good show and some nice ones there :-

One that actually looked just like yours, Lund, but the numberplate corrected me :1eye:

Family friend has a Defender 110 and a S3 Lightweight

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users