#1 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:17 AM

Hello all,

i have done a search on this and come up with a few ideas but would like some extra advice.
Basically, i broke a bleed nipple, so i got a bolt extractor in there, started turning and that snapped off in there, so i filed down two of the sides of the remnants of the extractor so i could get some purchase on it to continue turning....guess what, it snapped again!
So currently i am left with a couple of millimetres of mangled nipple exposed and some hardened steel bolt extractor within the old nipple.
I have tried grabbing it with mole grips and turning; drilling the remnants out but the presence of the bolt extractor makes this very difficult/imposible (with my drill and bit); sawing a groove in the top to get a screw driver in there all to no avail....
The only thing i can think of now is to get something welded to the bleed nipple/bolt extractor and turn this, however, i dont have the equipment neccessary so was just wandering if anyone else had any other suggestions!?

#2 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:39 AM

Where is said nipple? Have you any photos? They might help.

#3 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:11 AM

half of the said nipple is on the garage floor, the other half is still in the metro caliper....middle nipple if i recall correctly....
....i could prob get a pic tonight if people think it will help?

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

if you could weld a bolt onto the top that will help in two ways... 1, something to grab hold of, but also the heat from the weld will transfer through the nipple and probably loosen the 'grip'

#5 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

Thats what i was thinking, its just that would be a 'last resort' as i don't have a welder! Ruddy things!
Is penetrating oil going to aid things along or is that a bad idea to introduce that into the caliper?

#6 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:37 AM

mine were stuck fast so i just hacked the end off. the cylinder was bugged anyway.

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:45 PM

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. Your experience is the very reason I don't use E-Z-Outs.

Welding a lever on the stub may work... or it may make the situation worse. As you've already realized, the E-Z-Out is/was hardened, brittle steel. When you weld anything to it, the weld will also end up being brittle. Contact local machine shops, tell them what happened, and ask if they have a "Sinker EDM" machine. These use carbon electrodes to burn out broken bolts and studs. They are the right tool for removing broken studs and taps. Bleed nipples won't be a problem for it.

#8 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:52 PM

Cheers Doug,

Is that machine name the same over the pond as far as you know? I'm glad you replied as after doing the search i noticed you were the man with the experience in this situation.....

.....bottom line, time to give it to a pro rather than risking damage then?
I'm a bodger at heart though so still entertaining d-i-y solutions (if anyone has any)!?

Edited by TOMMO0302, 22 August 2006 - 12:53 PM.

#9 Stoo

Stoo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:03 PM

buy another caliper - they come up all the time in auto jumbles etc

#10 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

I now have 4 of the buggers!! Don't want any more....and they are metro 4 pots so a bit rarer (kind of). If i have to buy more, they will be new!

#11 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:20 PM

I did a quick google search using keywords "edm" and "u.k." and found a couple of applicable hits so the terminology appears to be used in the U.K. Sinker EDM may not be the term that's used where you are but if you explain what has happened they'll tell you if they have the equipment to get the nipple out. The other type of EDM machine is called "wire EDM" and it's like an electric bandsaw for cutting narrow slots in metal. Sinkers are like a drill press. They are both cool tools to watch work.

Since you've got multiple calipers with this problem you might consider taking all of them in for nipple extraction if the price isn't prohibitive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users