16 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

Ok basically all was good, i had just put a new manifold gasket on, as it was blowing before.
Started first time as usual, was just checking all the manifold bolts were done up tightly whislt the engine was still running, nudged the accelerator, then it stalled itself for some reason.

Basically when i resart it it will only start when i let go of the key, so pretty much there is not enough power at the coil or not a big enough spark whilst the starter motor is turning over. Once running it is fine, but sometimes it will not restart, not really feeling up for bump starting it twice a day or more....

So if anybody has any suggestions that'd be great

Oh and its metro electronic ignition, just rememberd the only other issue is the rev counter also seems to not be getting enough power to work properly at low revs it just dies then picks up again around 2k.

Cheers guys i await your replies with baited breath.........

#2 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:29 PM

No ideas however big or small?

Whats that you say a new loom, hmmmm.....

Edited by jimbo_edmondo, 22 August 2006 - 06:29 PM.

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:39 PM

Haven't fitted electronic ignition to a car with ballasted ignition have you?
What colour are the coil wires?

#4 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:31 PM

Nah it was all running fine before i touched it today, fixed one problem caused another!

There is no spark when the starter motor is engaged so i'm pretty confused right now, kinda need the car at 11.00 in the morn as well.......

#5 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:56 AM

Ok still nothin happening after a couple of hours out in the rain.

It used to be ballasted ignition, i've followed the wiring diagram found on the forum ages ago, and still not much happenin, just changed the solenoid, still the same.

I'm totally lost i've changed nearly all of the connectors(only left the really good ones) and i don't know how else to find this problem. The thing is i can't seem to get a voltage out of the w/y wire coming from the solenoid, should i be able to? Even when turning over there is nothing.

#6 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:56 AM

Is the earth strap connected properly ? Maybe you knocked it when you did the gaskets and is not fully connected.....

And is the battery charged up ?

;D

Edited by Jimmyarm, 23 August 2006 - 10:57 AM.

#7 Sunshine

Sunshine

Friend of TMF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:13 AM

when you changed it from balast to ignition. did you run a new wire to the fuse box? if not you need too.

cowboy

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:11 PM

As Cowboy says and I have asked, are you running this on 12v or are you running it on the ballasted wiring? We don't just ask these things for fun you know, if you answer the questions you are asked then people might be able to help you.
Saying this:

Nah it was all running fine before i touched it today, fixed one problem caused another!

doesn't help us find out what's broken.

If you are running the electronic ignition on the ballasted wiring then it points to you leaving the cranking bypass disconnected. If you are running it on the ballasted wiring and you haven't left the bypass disconnected then it points to the (12 volt ONLY) electronics in the system finally failing as it's been trying to run on 9 volts since you fitted it and can no longer cope with the volt drop on cranking.
If you are running it on a dedicated 12 volt supply as it should be then there must be other issues here but if you don't answer the questions we can't help you much.

#9 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:29 PM

sorry to hijack, but can you run electronic igniton with a lucas gold sports coil? with the 12volts obviously

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:06 PM

No, but some makes of electronic ignition produce their own specific uprated coils. There's lots of threads here about why this doesn't work and it's fairly technical. If you want the whole answer, do a quick search.

#11 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:42 PM

When i changed it over i ran a new power wire from the fuse box to the +ve side of the coil connected everything up as shown on a diagram found in the FAQ section.

There is no spark whist the engine is turning over, i think it may be an issue with my starter as it is making rather loud clicking noises whilst turning over. But i've just been out and bought a new coil, and a second hand starter, i'll see how it all works out......

Earth strap is fine, as well.

Sorry Dan, i do really appreciate the help you guys all give, i'd be lost without it!!!

Just changed the coil and the starter no difference. Still confused as to how it can run perfectly once its been bump started.

Ok on the +ve side of the coil i have:
Power cable from fuse box
w/y from dizzy
w/y from solenoid
w/p which comes from the loom (unsure where it goes...)

on the -ve side
w/b from the dizzy
w/b from the loom (rev counter i think) Rev counter is playing funny games as well, jumping all over the place.

Any thing i need to look at here?

Edited by jimbo_edmondo, 25 August 2006 - 02:17 PM.

#12 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

Could it be that somewhere in the wiring to the starter there is a short which is causing a voltage drop only when its cranking ? That might explain why there is not enough power to fire up the coil but there is when you bump it......

Try getting a multimeter onto it in both situations and see what the results are....

#13 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:38 PM

Thats what i thought, just had a fiddle with the fuse box while it was running and it stalled it, therefore i think something on or around the fuse box is earthing, this would explain the crazy tacho as well, as it runs through the exact fuse i nudged.

I'll be picking up a new fuse box at 9 am tomorrow, hopefully this will solve it, i'll have a good look around the rest of the wires all around it as well, but i think my fuse box could do with renewal, Tarks will remember advising me to replace it at last years mitp lol.

I hope that works!!!

Aint minis brillyunt!!!!

#14 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:44 PM

My brain is bringing up recollections of someone saying that is a reasonably common fault......Dan ?

#15 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:58 AM

Hey guess what, it wasn't the fuse box :D

Really need some help now please, as much as it would help my fitness i don't really want to have to bump start her every time for the rest of eternity.

I don't know what else to do, actually thinking of taking her to the dreaded garage!

Or even fitting points ignition back on and seeing if that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users