Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: None atm

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:20 PM

Hey Peeps,

Got some shineys from MITP. Drop Down Bracket for steering column, seat extenders and new 12" Mountney Steering wheel. Have fitted the steering wheel and made some MAJOR mods to it to get the horn to work.

This is it.

Posted Image

I have butchered a set of points to push up against the bottom to keep the supply and wired it through a relay to activate the horn. And it works! ;D

I digress...

I have fitted the drop down bracket and have found that I needed to hang off of the column to get it to line up. Now I have read a few other forums and it looks as though I have fitted it correctly???????

Posted Image

I that right? If it is why does it take a lot of effort to change the angle on the column? Should I adjust anything else to release the pressure as I don't want things to go snap when I am hammering it round corners!!!!

Sorry for the long post... one final thing....

How in hell do you fit the seat extenders? Has anyone got any pictures as I am stumped on this one!!!! :(

Edited by Gizzum, 22 August 2006 - 07:21 PM.

#2 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:38 PM

I have fitted the drop down bracket and have found that I needed to hang off of the column to get it to line up. Now I have read a few other forums and it looks as though I have fitted it correctly???????

Posted Image

I that right? If it is why does it take a lot of effort to change the angle on the column? Should I adjust anything else to release the pressure as I don't want things to go snap when I am hammering it round corners!!!!

[/quote]
:'( Hi mate you need to undo the steering rack U BOLTS and then fit the drop bracket, the U bolts are under the carpet just undo the nuts untill they are lose but dont take the nuts off, push the U BOLTS through until the nuts hit the floor and then undo the bolts on the drop bracket then you will be able to move the coloum up and down freely to where you want it, tighten up the drop bracket bolts once your happy then tighten up the steering rack U BOLTS hope you understand ;D

Edited by ANDY J, 22 August 2006 - 07:41 PM.

#3 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

Cheers Andy, will have a butchers in the morning.

Anyone any ideas on the seat extenders???

#4 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

Cheers Andy, will have a butchers in the morning.

Anyone any ideas on the seat extenders???

ive never had to fit them as ive only got small legs :'( but undo the seat bolts where the seat tilts 2 bolts on each seat take them completely out then the new brackets youve just bought go in the gap where the seats were, and they like hang over the cross member and down the front thats about it really but some1 will be able to help sorry ;D :( its a bit hard to say in writing ??
P.S. JUST CHECK THE BOTTOM BOLT ON THE STEERING COLOUM WHERE IT GOES THROUGH THR FLOOR WHEN YOUVE TIGHTEND THE DROP BRACKET BOLT AND THE STEERING RACK U BOLTS AS IT MIGHT BE LOOSE ?

Edited by ANDY J, 22 August 2006 - 07:52 PM.

#5 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:02 PM

to fit the seat brackets remove the nuts holding the seat to the floor brackets. Lift the seat out the way and insert the extenders into the existing mounting brackets.

#6 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:15 PM

Cheers Nick,

How much of a duffer do I feel like ;D . Looking at it now seems very straight forward. I was trying to find a use for the elongated hole at the front.

Thanks Guys!!!

#7 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:19 PM

Cheers Nick,

How much of a duffer do I feel like :( . Looking at it now seems very straight forward. I was trying to find a use for the elongated hole at the front.

Thanks Guys!!!

We've all been there mate, i nearly bent my steering rack fitting that bracket until i got told about the u bolts. I kicked myself hard ;D

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:34 PM

It is absolutely essential to slacken the steering rack U-bolts off BEFORE you adjust the angle of the steering column so that the rack is free to turn as you lower it. If you don't do this you end up putting massive side loading on the rack pinion which eventually will either snap the pinion or grind the splines off the inner column. Either will result in a very sudden loss of steering control at a random point inside the coming year. There have been two guys on here recently who have had his problem with cars that they brought with a column lowering bracket already incorrectly fitted and suddenly found themselves without the ability to steer. Luckily none of them were hurt.
THIS IS ESSENTIAL, NOT DOING THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS.
Slacken the U-bolts under the carpet, slacken the column clamp on the new bracket and lift the column up before lowering it again, making sure that the rack turns under the floor as it lowers. Get someone to check for you that it is actually turning as you move it. Make sure the pinion is in a direct line with the column and under no side loads before you tighten everything up. When you tighten the U-bolts make sure that they tighten evenly, there should be the same amount of thread visible from each nut on the ends of one bolt when you are finished. If you tighten them unevenly they will pull to one side and twist the rack round again or distort the rack tube.
I can't emphasise anough how important this is, the last guy that this happened to on here was convinced that the rack was properly aligned aven though his column was already broken. He was wrong, you must check carefully and get this right.

Edited by Dan, 22 August 2006 - 09:35 PM.

#9 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:27 PM

Dan, your my hero!

Had a quick look this morning just before it starting chucking it down.... I can only find two bolts to the left hand side of the column.. Where are the other two?

#10 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

Dan, your my hero!

Had a quick look this morning just before it starting chucking it down.... I can only find two bolts to the left hand side of the column.. Where are the other two?

the passenger side floor

#11 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

Yup, passenger side. In the same relation to the unused steering colum hole in the floor as the ones on the drivers side are to the steering column. And you're looking for nuts, nyloc type on studs sticking through the floor. If what you've found are bolt heads they will be the subframe mountings ratehr than the rack U-bolts.

#12 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

Yup, passenger side. In the same relation to the unused steering colum hole in the floor as the ones on the drivers side are to the steering column. And you're looking for nuts, nyloc type on studs sticking through the floor. If what you've found are bolt heads they will be the subframe mountings ratehr than the rack U-bolts.

I didnt slacken either of the nuts before... and had to buy a new column as the threads sheared... so yes please slacken before anything.

Just wondering if you have to slacken completely until the nuts nearly come off? If so... i have to loosen AGAIN!

#13 incrediblerog

incrediblerog

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Local Club: ?

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:09 PM

seriously is this drop bracket u-bolt thing a big deal or should i, from a safety point of view be more worried about the fapping big hole that was hiding under some waxoyl on the passenger side door sill? it's not that i can't be bothered to loosen the nuts, it's just i'm worried if i've already fapped it, and then start unbolting it wont go back on??? sorry no hi-jacking intended!
:D

Edited by incrediblerog, 24 August 2006 - 03:19 PM.

#14 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:33 PM

seriously is this drop bracket u-bolt thing a big deal or should i, from a safety point of view be more worried about the fapping big hole that was hiding under some waxoyl on the passenger side door sill? it's not that i can't be bothered to loosen the nuts, it's just i'm worried if i've already fapped it, and then start unbolting it wont go back on??? sorry no hi-jacking intended!
:D

I think its a big deal. Only because a few months down the line I lost some steering. Luckily i wasnt turning hard and then i heard a loud 'SNAP'. Some peeps have had worst happen. So I'd slacken!

#15 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:12 PM

completely until the nuts nearly come off?

Nope, just enough to allow the rack to turn.

Yes it's a big deal. Do you not understand the implications? When I say the steering pinion can snap off at any time, I really mean it. Instantly disconnecting the steering wheel from the road wheels. Both of your problems are about as serious as each other I'd say. You aren't unbolting and removing it, just slackening it enough to move. When you start changing your car from standard spec, it's up to you to make sure it's properly done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users