Photo
- - - - -

Simpson Desert (Aust) Crossing - By Moke! Wish Us Luck!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,976 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:27 AM

Back in 1983, the South Australian Moke Club (SAMC) took 9 Mokes, with 18 bods across the Simpson Desert, this was the first ever successful crossing by Moke of this Desert. The expedition was lead by Greg 'Bwana' Rinder, a name that probably doesn't mean much to many here (though mab01uk will know). Simpson 'guru' Denis Bartel helped the Bwana pull it all together.

Since first reading about this adventure in Post Magazine, for me this has been some 33 year in the 'dreaming' and 3 years of solid planning and preparation. You know, it just doesn't seem to matter how much time you take / think you need for getting ready for these trips, it's never enough and it always comes down to the last few weeks!

I have become good friends with Bwana and many others who took part in this adventure and they have been no end of help and support in helping us prepare for 'the big one'.

The Desert Rats;-

'Shorty' and his mate (ie he going Lone Arranger style - no, that's not a typo)
    'Cyclops' and 'Kev the Donkey'
    'Tractor Man & Son'
    'Spider and 4XMOKE'

The Simpson Desert     -     so what is it?

Well, it's the largest Sand Ridge Desert in the World, it crosses in to 3 of our 7 States.

How big is it?

I could rattle off some numbers but to put in to some kind of comparable reference for at least some of our readers, it's roughly 2/3s the size of the entire UK (17 500 sqkm vs 24 500 sqkm). And that's only the Simpson Desert,  we also have 2 other major deserts to cross as well as the more mundane bits getting out there and (hopefully!) back again.

Here's a crude over-lay map I managed to put together and yes, they are on the same scale;-

GBOc0AB.jpg

Just thinking about that for a moment, it actually gives me butterflies.

The route we'll be taking will take us over some 1176 sand dunes, no, that's not a typo,(one thousand, one hundred and seventy six) - give or take a couple!  These will range in size from around 1 metre to around 20 metres +.

Remote

Very remote. Human Population of the Desert is zero. It's a fairly inhospitable place, and is closed over the summer months when temps regularly go in to the 50's daily.

For us, crossing the Desert, we will have around 750 km (470 miles) between petrol fills, actually, between any kind of civilization at all!

Should we need outside help, that's generally 2 to 3 days away by land vehicle, when all the cards are stack the right way. By air, it's not often possible, other than an Air Drop.

All other trips I've ever undertaken, I've always had a good feeling for as to whether it would be all 'Mokeable' and they have been, however this one is very different and they are no guarantee's of success at all.

Crossing the Desert has a 'ratchet' effect in that, because of the prevailing winds, the only hope we have of crossing is from the West, however the further East we travel, the bigger the dunes get. If we find ourselves say 2/3's the way across and the dunes impassable, a retreat is not an option. We'd also be out of fuel to even try that.

I'm also fairly sure that this will also be the last time ever that Mokes will be able to cross the Desert, as the tracks are not maintained (nor have they been since the early 60's when they went in) and are being claimed back by the Desert itself as well as generally stuffed up well and truly by the 4WDers who have no idea. Some do, most don't.

There's been around half a dozen crossing attempts by Moke that I am aware of, the first known attempt was in 1970 and in the words of one of the participants 'we failed miserably'. The last known attempt was in 1995. The only successful crossing by Moke, was in 1983 by the South Australian Moke Club when they took 9 Mokes and 18 Bods across the Desert, however, while the crossing was successful, they didn't actually reach all the goals that they had set for themselves, but I see nothing to be ashamed of in that.

None the less, I have been in awe of these guys who did that back then. Gutsy stuff.

Here's a link to a few slides from that trip;-

https://mokespider.w...son-desert-1983

We're off on this one in a few weeks,,,,

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,977 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:52 AM

sounds fun. look forward to the updates.

#3 David128

David128

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

Epic look forward to news

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:49 AM

Epic adventure! Want to see pics!

#5 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:45 AM

Goodluck and have fun mate!

#6 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

Good luck

Are you using foam filters for such a long off road trip or you keep OEM? Just my curiosity

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,846 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:52 PM

I think I still have the SAMC Newsletters with the 1983 Simpson Desert expedition write ups......fantastic road trip in Mokes, good luck 'Moke Spider' and look forward to the full story of your latest adventure!

Edited by mab01uk, 18 March 2016 - 12:52 PM.

#8 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:10 PM

Best of luck! I take it that we will see no updates (unless you have satellite internet) until you have completed your adventure.

#9 fenghuang

fenghuang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

I believe the correct response to this is "You're f***ink troppo, mate!" Just make sure you make it back - we need you round here.

In all seriousness, beat of luck. My wife's cousins do trips like this ... in a custom built 4x4, and having heard some of the stories, the idea of doing it in an A Series bath tub leaves me a in awe.

Edited by fenghuang, 18 March 2016 - 03:58 PM.

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,977 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:00 PM

I want to see pictures of the Mokes with Parasols up for sun protection.

#11 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,661 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

Have a great adventure, sounds fantastic!

Hope the A series and Lucas gods are with you ;-)

FS

#12 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:27 PM

The best of luck Moke Spider....sounds like an awesome trip

Edited by Stevie W, 18 March 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#13 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

Awesome challenge, and no small amount of planning and prep going into something like that. 

I, like everyone else here, wish all firstly a safe trip with you all coming back in one piece, and secondly an amazingly fun trip! 

Make sure you take lots of pictures. And spare batteries for the cameras!

#14 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:53 AM

Wow!

What an amazing adventure!

All the best buddy.  Can't wait to hear your stories.  :-)

#15 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:53 PM

Can't wait to read the book, watch the film, read the posts. There is nothing like a good 'road' trip.

Good luck and enjoy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users