32 replies to this topic

#1 JBMini

JBMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:14 PM

So... I bought a mini minus shell which I am currently restoring.

And I thought I'd share it with everyone on here. Here are the pictures of the car when I picked it up. I'll be posting pictures as often as possible. Any advice or constructive criticism will be very helpful👍🏻 Enjoy!

Attached File  image.jpeg   57.4K   28 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   52.56K   10 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   62.36K   16 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   57.43K   9 downloads

#2 JBMini

JBMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:35 AM

Got it home and started sanding it down. Already seeing the benefits of fibreglass!

As you can see the front end has been removed and it's not in great condition. Ideally I'd like to keep the original front end so I'll see if it's possible with no fibreglassing skills at all:/ will update soon with some parts for the car...

JB

Attached Files

#3 JBMini

JBMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:40 PM

So I've been sanding and deciding what to remove (steel, wood and fibreglass). I've also got my protech coilovers and found that I need to tub the rear arches and they are coming along nicely. Here are some before and after pics...

Attached Files

#4 JBMini

JBMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:07 PM

After

Attached Files

#5 Macming

Macming

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Local Club: Miniclan

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:48 PM

You've got a lot of work ahead there. But the rewards are brilliant. You'll have a totally unique bit of gear, You can also go to Kitcar shows now and not feel out of place.

Have you found this site? It doesn't get much input now but it'll give you all sorts of ideas.   http://www.miniminus.co.uk   (I'm   # 27. That info was put on in 07. 2 days after a spray job. We definitely do not look that good now, I was hoping for a respray before the I.M.M. in May but It's not looking likely.)What are your plans, A way out build, or a reasonably standard setup. Keep the photos coming

Peter

#6 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

Think I have seen this on the old facebooks progressing? Fellow minus owner here, will be keeping an eye on this project and at shows if I manage to get to any this year! 

#7 JBMini

JBMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:40 PM

You've got a lot of work ahead there. But the rewards are brilliant. You'll have a totally unique bit of gear, You can also go to Kitcar shows now and not feel out of place.

Have you found this site? It doesn't get much input now but it'll give you all sorts of ideas.   http://www.miniminus.co.uk   (I'm   # 27. That info was put on in 07. 2 days after a spray job. We definitely do not look that good now, I was hoping for a respray before the I.M.M. in May but It's not looking likely.)What are your plans, A way out build, or a reasonably standard setup. Keep the photos coming

Peter

Hi Mac, thankyou for the interest!

You're correct, alot of work is ahead but thanks to everyone on here and help from elsewhere its making things a hell of a lot easier! When its done I plan to take it to as many shows as possible! I have had a look through that site, gave my all kinds of inspiration and ideas, I have a vision in my head of what I want but I change my mind all the time and learn new things so we will see what it ends up looking like! 

Thanks again for the interest!

Regards

JB

#8 JBMini

JBMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

Think I have seen this on the old facebooks progressing? Fellow minus owner here, will be keeping an eye on this project and at shows if I manage to get to any this year! 

Hi Alex, thanks for the interest!

I haven't posted any pics of it on facebook:/, I think I have seen your minus though, is it the blue 1275? if so, very nice car mate!

When its finished i want to use it as much as possible, so will be taking it to every show I can get to!

But a long way until all that.

Regards
JB

Edited by JBMini, 03 April 2016 - 02:25 PM.

#9 JBMini

JBMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

The sanding has paid off and the body work isn't that bad (apart from the front end). Few bits need filling and sanding but overall I'm happy with it. The reason I have a beam fitted here is because i was making sure the coilovers I have (protech) fitted with plenty of clearance! And now I've cut and re-fibreglassed the arches there is plenty of clearance for the coilovers!

My plan for the next job is to remove some unneeded steel from the shell to make it lighter. Also I forgot to mention that I am getting a full weld in rollcage which will kind of act as a space frame to keep the fibreglass shell in one piece, it will also also act as top mounts for the rear coilovers, which is why I wasn't too fussed about losing strength by cutting out the original shock mounts.

Updates coming soon!

Regards
JB

Attached Files

Edited by JBMini, 29 March 2016 - 10:01 PM.

#10 JBMini

JBMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:20 PM

Ive been removing fibreglass, wood and steel from the inside of the car, even test fitted the seat. Got some before and after pics for you...

Regards
JB

Attached Files

#11 coopermango

coopermango

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: Yorkshire Mini Cooper Reg.

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

Looking good, I'm probably a few weeks ahead with my minus build, mine is been painted next week.Attached File  image.jpeg   42.82K   5 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   42.13K   7 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   42.99K   6 downloads

#12 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:12 PM

I haven't posted any pics of it on facebook:/, I think I have seen your minus though, is it the blue 1275? if so, very nice car mate!

When its finished i want to use it as much as possible, so will be taking it to every show I can get to!

Regards
JB 

Ah my mistake, I follow a lot of mini pages and projects! 

But yeah you probably have seen mine about as I have put a fair few pictures on the internet. Mines alright but needs lots of little bits till I am happy with it! 
This is mine if it is the same one you have seen. Will defo keep an eye open on the project and at shows! 

12321264_10209081921505825_5737662020362

#13 JBMini

JBMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:23 AM

Looking good, I'm probably a few weeks ahead with my minus build, mine is been painted next week.attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Thanks for the picture coopermango! Looks amazing mate! Very exciting! I'm hoping to get mine ready for paint early next year at the latest! Very exciting! What colour are you going for?

Regards
JB

#14 JBMini

JBMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:25 AM

Regards
JB

Ah my mistake, I follow a lot of mini pages and projects! 
But yeah you probably have seen mine about as I have put a fair few pictures on the internet. Mines alright but needs lots of little bits till I am happy with it! 
This is mine if it is the same one you have seen. Will defo keep an eye open on the project and at shows! 12321264_10209081921505825_5737662020362

Yeah that's the one I've seen! Very nice car! Giving me massive inspiration, so thanks for the picture! I'll be sure to keep checking to see how your minus is progressing! What do you plan to do to it?

Regards
JB

#15 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

Aha well that made me smile! I've not really done much to it since buying it apart from wheels. I plan to strip and rebuild it an area at a time and build it to my standards as it's just a little bit rough in areas. Needs a new loom so will be making my own to modern motorsport spec. Making it a little more ergonomic in the cabin and I am building a 16v a-series for it which may get a turbo, need to decide on space and budget for that one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users