1 reply to this topic

#1 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

This is kind of a weird one. I have an 02 plate Focus (mk1.5), 1.8 Zetec. When I get out the car, it kind of smells 'hot'. I know that sounds ridiculous but I don't quite know how else to explain it. The temperature gauge doesn't go past half way, it doesn't feel down on power. The engine block looks like it has oil on it (but it's been like that since I had it). The water looks OK in the expansion tank and oil levels are fine (if not a little high). The water pump was replaced around a year ago I guess maybe a bit less. Is there anyway to effectively test the cooling system to make sure everything is good? It's probably due it's next service in all honesty.

It's really hard to explain the smell but it doesn't quite seem right. It's not horrible, and doesn't smell like burning brakes or clutch or anything like that.

It's unrelated but also sometimes fails to start first time. It turns over but doesn't start. It may just need a good service.

Any advice much appreciated. Despite having gone back and forth on getting a new car, I'm actually quite liking this beast and might invest some money in it soon to freshen it up a bit including a damn good deep clean and polish.

#2 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:49 PM

Any oil on the exhaust?  My old Suzuki XL-7 used to leak a bit from the cam covers on to the exhaust manifold flange and it created a a funny smell. Replacing the gaskets was a pain so a good degreasing and hosing down would take care of the problem for a few months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users