5 replies to this topic

#1 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:59 AM

hi guys im getting my new 'a' panels fitted soon hopefully and im wondering what is involved in the prep process for the panels..

basically what do i do with the black coating on the new panels??? do i sand it back or just spray on top???
had a look through shaz' guide but doesnt seem to mention anythin.... i think!!!!

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:42 PM

Just key it nicely with 600-800wet and dry used wet. When it's supersmooth prime it, then wet and dry some more.

Now spray a light covering of anysort of contrasting colour onto the panel. this is a guide coat. you now need to wet and dry the panel again with a block, this will show up any high and low spots that might need a skim of filler etc, you will see this where you either sand through to much, or you're left with areas of guide coat that weren't touched by the block.

Once it's all smooth and level whack a couple more layers of primer down and allow to harden.

Now Wet and dry that lightly to just get an even but silky smooth layer of primer. use 800grit.

Now add colour!!!! if you're using spray cans... you need to build the colour up, e.g.

coat 1
coat 2
wet and dry 800grit
coat 3
coat 4
wet and dry 1200grit
coat 5
(optional coat 6)
wet and dry 1500grit then 2000grit.

cutting paste (G3 used lightly) then use G10

leave for 1day-2days to fully harden

polish
wax.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

Edited by Retro_10s, 27 August 2006 - 09:43 PM.

#3 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:16 PM

Thanks for that retro 10's! I was just searching looking for exactly what youve just put down.

Top man, Thanks

#4 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:54 AM

no probs guys, The proicess above might be a bit lengthy and you could get away with less coats of paint, but this is how i've always done it like this and it works well and gives a nice finish. remember if you build up primer or paint too thick, just wet and dry it away!

for example, you might not need a guide coat since it's only an A-panel.

Edited by Retro_10s, 29 August 2006 - 09:55 AM.

#5 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

Eaaaaak, id say try and bare metal the black stuff!

Sometimes on cheaper panels mostly, its kind of a bitchamen oily based C**p.. and it doesn't make good base for prepping and painting!

#6 OllyD

OllyD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:17 PM

Eaaaaak, id say try and bare metal the black stuff!

Sometimes on cheaper panels mostly, its kind of a bitchamen oily based C**p.. and it doesn't make good base for prepping and painting!

I think it depends on the type of black stuff. I believe the smooth, shiney black stuff (ie. the stuff on genuine panels and good quality copies) is ok to go over. The cheaper panels that have a rough-ish fuzzy coating should definately be stripped back.

i believe this is right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users