5 replies to this topic

#1 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:52 AM

Hi, I'm replacing the gear rod link roll pins and the oil seal on my 95 Cooper SPI.  I have a replacement kit with the pins, rubber seal and alloy sleeve.

Daft question but as I haven't done this job before I just want to check whether the 95 model has the alloy sleeve fitted as standard, just to be sure that I'm removing the right item.  I have attached a pic of what I understand to be the alloy sleeve.

Thanks!

Attached File  Gear Link Seal.jpg   41.58K   11 downloads

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,445 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

That's where it goes, hard to judge the depth from the photo, you wouldn't be able to fit a second & have room for the seal. Pretty sure you'd have one fitted from the factory.

#3 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

Thanks Ethel, there's about 5mm recess having taken out the rubber seal. So just checking, is it the alloy sleeve I can see in the photo? And it's ok to remove this? (Oil has been drained out of the sump.)

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,445 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:58 PM

I can't see why you'd want to remove it. It's intended to centre the rod in the seal so it doesn't get distorted and leak. 

It's in the kit as an upgrade for earlier Minis without one fitted by the factory.

#5 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:22 PM

Fair point, I didn't bother with the sleeve and left the original in situ. Thanks for the advice.

#6 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:49 PM

The aluminium sleeve is generally pretty good, there was a bad lot out there with a poor surface finish on the bore that permitted more wear in less time, if you can move the selector more than about 0.5mm then it needs to be replaced, if you have the nylon light brown in colour it will need to be changed as these can grip the shaft and pull the seal out of the gear case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users