#1 hatchet

hatchet

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:31 PM

Hope someone can help here!

I'm replacing the seats in my 1974 Mini and was wondering if the seats I'm putting in have to lock down into position for MOT purposes.

The seats I'm replacing are fixed bucket seats that do not tilt forward with 3-point harnesses, to be replaced with classic seats and standard friction seat belts allowing the seats to be tilted forward.

Can anybody help please?

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:34 PM

the seats can tilt but you must be able to lock the back down in some way

like the origianls did

#3 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:35 PM

the subframes on seats that tilt should have the hook which holds the seat down and can be released by a lever when being tilted.... not sure about MOT issue but i wouldn't drive a car which didn't have seats rooted in position.... having recoverd bodies from car crashes on several occasions!!! (including one kit car which i don't wish to go into details about)

#4 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:05 PM

Well my first Mini which was a 1975 late MKIII Mini 1000 didn't have the seat locking device fitted, so you could tip the seats forward without having to pull anything.

I think the anti-tipping device first got introduced around 1976 with the MKIV Mini, so as yours is a 1974 model, then I doubt you'd have to secure the seat via an anti-tipping mechanism. Much the same as pre 1965? Mini's don't have to have seat belts fitted I believe?

#5 hatchet

hatchet

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

Cheers everyone!

That was my line of thinking Taffy1967. So I wasn't going to bother with the locking subframes, but reading Biggav's post then maybe I'll permanently secure the seats and if anyone wanted to get in the back then tough! Probably not a bad idea seeing as there are no rear seat belts!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users