8 replies to this topic

#1 chunkyjh

chunkyjh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:26 AM

What recommendations do people have for starting an engine that has been sat for a long period (2 years)? Ive recently read that you should remove spark plugs and turn engine over to raise oil pressure or something along those lines?? any other suggestions?

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:47 AM

leave some oil in the bores the night before

and new petrol helps as the old stuff would of gone off

#3 Dave the Rave

Dave the Rave

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:53 AM

Yeah stick some oil down the bores and leave it a while so you don't sh@g the oil control rings. Before you turn the key make sure it turns over by hand too.

#4 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:00 AM

Personally I would service the engine anyway (new oil, filter, plugs etc) then run it up to temperature and check everything is as it should be.

#5 minipip

minipip

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:32 PM

turn the key???

#6 OllyD

OllyD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:20 PM

turn the key???

The thing that goes in the ignition. :D

I think they mean assuming the engine is still attached to a car.

#7 minipip

minipip

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:58 PM

i nkow how u start an old engine! walk to B&Q spend 5 quid on a decent hammer, walk back to the car, say with the hammer in the air, 'if u dont start this hammer is going into ur brain(the block)' turn the key, and volia then praise and stroke the car for its efforts and tell it you love it, but keep the hammer handy as u never know! :D
if it dosnet start, add some swear words to that sentence i will cencor for childen sake 'I F*****G TOLD YOU TO START YOU BAG OF S**T, IF U DONT START THIS TIME IM GONNA BURN YOU TO HELL!!!! YOU HEAR ME HELLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHA!

that should just about do it

#8 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:00 PM

i nkow how u start an old engine! walk to B&Q spend 5 quid on a decent hammer, walk back to the car, say with the hammer in the air, 'if u dont start this hammer is going into ur brain(the block)' turn the key, and volia then praise and stroke the car for its efforts and tell it you love it, but keep the hammer handy as u never know! :D
if it dosnet start, add some swear words to that sentence i will cencor for childen sake 'I F*****G TOLD YOU TO START YOU BAG OF S**T, IF U DONT START THIS TIME IM GONNA BURN YOU TO HELL!!!! YOU HEAR ME HELLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHA!

Yeah I think that's the method Haynes suggests :(

#9 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:28 PM

:(

I can imagine some people go through that same routine every morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users