26 replies to this topic

#16 MarkyRich

MarkyRich

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:54 PM

Ive got some 10mm OD (7mm ID) from Scewfix. will that be ok???

If its copper pipe be aware is does work harden. It needs supporting more than genuine fuel pipe; at least every 150mm and best practice (because of the work hardening) means the ends shouldn't be unsupported otherwise over time, it will fracture.

Thanks Buddy.

Will the 7mm be sufficient though. Everywhere i went only seem to have this size?? my set up should turn out about 160-170 BHP?
Normally you would use fuel pipe size AN6 which is 8mm. There was a K head 1460 on the rollers just after mine and he had fitted 8mm bore and it gave 155bhp on petrol and 205bhp with NOS. Have you tried the turbo forum?

Yep and alot of conflicting info with some suggesting they are running the same as what i have just purchased but also saying that its ID measurements when the packaging says clearly 10 mm 7mm bore hence my confusion.

I think itwill be fine if its been proven to work as others have reported. Fingers crossed anyway.

#17 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:58 PM

Ive got some 10mm OD (7mm ID) from Scewfix. will that be ok???

If its copper pipe be aware is does work harden. It needs supporting more than genuine fuel pipe; at least every 150mm and best practice (because of the work hardening) means the ends shouldn't be unsupported otherwise over time, it will fracture.

Thanks Buddy.

Will the 7mm be sufficient though. Everywhere i went only seem to have this size?? my set up should turn out about 160-170 BHP?
Normally you would use fuel pipe size AN6 which is 8mm. There was a K head 1460 on the rollers just after mine and he had fitted 8mm bore and it gave 155bhp on petrol and 205bhp with NOS. Have you tried the turbo forum?

Yep and alot of conflicting info with some suggesting they are running the same as what i have just purchased but also saying that its ID measurements when the packaging says clearly 10 mm 7mm bore hence my confusion.

I think itwill be fine if its been proven to work as others have reported. Fingers crossed anyway.
As long as you have enough pressure I'm sure it'll be ok.

#18 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:53 PM

It will be fine mate.

Phil.

#19 Hpal

Hpal

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 02:22 AM

On this topic, I am planning a turbo build for the future. It's a supercharged 1100 for now, but I have the tanks out and now is the time to weld in a fuel return pipe to the tank. I can always block it off till I need it. I just have the standard (5/16?) fuel pipe in the mini. In preparation for the eventual turbo engine, should I:

1. Fit an 8mm hose end into the tank next to the current standard outlet? Using standard one for supply and new one for return.

2. Replace the dingle tank fitting with a larger one, using a tee piece for the fuel return to put it back in line before the pump?

Fitting an MPI tank is not practical, not many here in Australia. Is the tee piece idea feasible?

Thanks

#20 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 03 July 2022 - 11:39 PM

5/16" is 7.9mm, so not much smaller than 8mm. 

On my car the tank outlet is 5/16 and then the hardline under the body is 1/4" (6.1mm) so the benefit would come from a bigger hardline to the carb. 

I would try putting up a wanted add for an MPI tank on the usual mini facebook pages. You might be surprised how many are here already 

#21 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 July 2022 - 01:41 AM

Plenty use the tank & pump from an injection car (You must have your share of JDM Minis down there). Others have  just plumbed the return in to an external pump's inlet with a tee piece.

Remember there's a pressure regulator on the other end, in part because the injection fuel pump is way more than is actually needed even on full boost.

#22 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 04 July 2022 - 09:15 AM

I would advise not to T piece before the pump. It can cause cavitation and your pump to wear quicker.

#23 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 04 July 2022 - 12:26 PM

An injection pump is likely to be 200 gallons per hour at 3 bar,or thereabouts.Steve..

#24 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 04 July 2022 - 06:14 PM

I used AN6 lines for feed and return to/from an SPI tank. When I up the boost I’ll swap the pump out but it’s good enough for 7-8pm I’m running currently.

#25 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 05 July 2022 - 11:35 AM

I would advise not to T piece before the pump. It can cause cavitation and your pump to wear quicker.

I'd think pulling all the fuel through the restricted tank outlet would be worse. 

Most pumps have a much larger inlet, you can use that to make a mini flow velocity reducing chamber with smaller feeds from the tank & return,

#26 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,883 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:16 PM

I'd think pulling all the fuel through the restricted tank outlet would be worse. 

Most pumps have a much larger inlet, you can use that to make a mini flow velocity reducing chamber with smaller feeds from the tank & return,

Still doesn't prevent cavitation though. A hot pump creates hot fuel, which (counter intuitively) isn't great.

#27 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 02:27 PM

That makes sense, whether it applies in practice I guess depends on the specific installation. Two floor length fuel lines and the pressure drop at the regulator have the potential to reduce heat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users