8 replies to this topic

#1 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:16 PM

I recently replaced my alternator belt, nothing wrong with old one, back when I replaced the head and the engine bay was striped, only since then.

It’s always run hot, tried everything, non of which has worked and the radiator side of the engine is coved in little bits of rubber, like all over the bulkhead, under the bonnet and over the engine. Not best pleased as I spent quite a lot of time painting it all up to look nice.

No this is the second belt I’ve been trough, last one snapped and have only done a few hundred miles.

Now I’m assured that the belt I’ve been given from Halfords is the correct one, part no. HB 837a, but I don’t think so.

As this is what it now looks like compared to the old one on the left and how worn it is.
[attachment=19185:attachment]

So what belt, part no. would be handy should I be using for future reference as I’m going to stick the old one back on for time being and see if I get the same problem.

Cheers,
Karl

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:48 PM

9 times out of 10 the reason the belt breaks is because it's on too tight...

When fixed there should be an inch of flex between then water pump and the alternator pulley.

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

When fixed there should be an inch of flex between then water pump and the alternator pulley.

bit much isn't it, thought it was about 12 to 15 mm along the longest length of the belt?

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:26 PM

Aint lost a fan belt yet !

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:02 PM

Everyone has different ways of setting a belt, I normally go to the point where the belt can be twisted through 180 degrees on its longest length. As long as its not too tight to snap or damage bearings and not too loose so as to fly off or not drive alternator/pulley then it'll be fine.

As for this problem, I would be looking at pulley alignment first and then checking that all pulleys are rotating freely. To wear that much and throw bits of rubber everywhere it must be 'riding' on something.

#6 DYO776C

DYO776C

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

I recently replaced my alternator belt, nothing wrong with old one, back when I replaced the head and the engine bay was striped, only since then.

It’s always run hot, tried everything, non of which has worked and the radiator side of the engine is coved in little bits of rubber, like all over the bulkhead, under the bonnet and over the engine. Not best pleased as I spent quite a lot of time painting it all up to look nice.

No this is the second belt I’ve been trough, last one snapped and have only done a few hundred miles.

Now I’m assured that the belt I’ve been given from Halfords is the correct one, part no. HB 837a, but I don’t think so.

As this is what it now looks like compared to the old one on the left and how worn it is.
[attachment=19185:attachment]

So what belt, part no. would be handy should I be using for future reference as I’m going to stick the old one back on for time being and see if I get the same problem.

Cheers,
Karl

Hi, as you are in NP, why don't you get one from Motorserve in Old Wolverton? I guess you will find it cheaper as well.

#7 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:18 PM

I had problems with electrics when my fan belt wasn't on tight enough. What did the man at Lucas' do? Whacked a crowbar behind the alt and made it pretty damn tight! Never had fan belt/electric/overheating probs since *touches wood!* :D

#8 minipip

minipip

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:25 PM

i found a hammer works well to get hte tension! just F*****G wack it...................... NO dont! lol! use the handle as a leaver against the block and the alt thne tighten it all back up!

#9 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:18 PM

Hi, as you are in NP, why don't you get one from Motorserve in Old Wolverton? I guess you will find it cheaper as well.

because i was getting a few other things at the same time and couldn't be, to go over to Wolverton in my lunch break from Bletchley, oh well lesion learned.

I had problems with electrics when my fan belt wasn't on tight enough. What did the man at Lucas' do? Whacked a crowbar behind the alt and made it pretty damn tight! Never had fan belt/electric/overheating probs since *touches wood!*

The previous owner did that to mine, only problem it was too tight and stuffed up the bearings.
Ended up having a reconditioned 70amp one fitted, along with said belt.

Well I’ve been having a play with the spaces on the alternator pulley, removed a small shim and it seams to be fine now, will be off to motorserve for a new belt soon though.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users