2 replies to this topic

#1 paul d

paul d

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:51 PM

Hi. im currently fitting a new black tag master cylinder to my standard 1978/79 clubby estate. i want to know any tips on how to bleed them as i have been told they are not easy. how do i get brake fluid to the top union part of cylinder with leads to passenger front etc. do i need some sort of suction device on the bleed nipple, as pumping pedal just seems to move air and not fluid. (no leaks in system and no fluid in pipes as system drained)  any advice would be great.

thank you

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,977 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:29 PM

I've found pressure bleeding is the best way to get them started. Gunsons have a kit, which is fairly priced. I do usually finish with the old fashioned method of bleeding though.

The reason that they can be hard to get started is the rubber grease that's used to assemble them can block off the bleed ports within the cylinder body.

#3 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

the best way is the 2 person way one on pedal pumping away till you get all the air out the easybleed kit might work but that wont force the air past the bend where constant pumping will dislodge air bubbles but make sure the fluid is topped up often

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users