14 replies to this topic

#1 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:24 AM

So we've heard of trackers at shows? Old news?

So are you actually just giving your address to anyone on this site?

You've got a device be it a mobile or a tablet etc and you're trusting with your location settings as many apps don't work when they're disabled.... BUT did you know these are often fingerprinted to the pictures you take?

Today I upgraded my apple device and Any pictures with a location are now collected together and I'm directed to see the "details".

I've started contacting members to tell them about this and advise them to use different settings with pictures and use different third party hosts.

The issue is mainly your projects.
Many of your directly posted pictures have your location. The number may be off a house or two as locations often are but this would be easy to work round if I was a thief!

Honestly I've got loads. I'm sure if I just messaged you and asked for your address you wouldn't give it to me? You certainly wouldnt write it down with every picture you post on the net....... would you?

Now I'm sure tech savvy people have been searching this stuff and your address details for years but now it's openly encouraged. Be careful people?

Edit: removed direct link to a brand as most brands are now encouraging you to review locations of pictures

Edited by minihobbymini, 02 October 2016 - 07:08 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:23 PM

Sorry this has been on every mobile device since the year dot.

#3 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:41 PM

Sorry this has been on every mobile device since the year dot.

Yes location etc has been fingerprinted for yonks. But unless I searched this and knew how it wasn't obvious.
My apple device now encourages me to review the persons details attached to the picture.

As my original post did say... the Pointer was for less tech savvy and a reminder to be careful how you post your pics

It's worth bringing to light.

This is a section for stolen cars, it's something our users should be aware of. I have around 30 home addresses and lockup addresses.
After the thread with trackers etc I felt it pertinent.

Edited by minihobbymini, 02 October 2016 - 06:58 PM.

#4 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:38 PM

Well I had no idea you could do that, can you see photobucket image locations?

#5 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:45 PM

Well I had no idea you could do that, can you see photobucket image locations?

Check your privacy settings in photo bucket but in large that's not the main culprit.

The main issue is the device you're using to take the picture in the first place. Worth taking a few moments to go through your settings and see what info you're including with your pics.

I've had a few thankful replies to my PM's sent to people whiz addresses I now have. Guess there's plenty of people who've overlooked this. I've had to remove a couple of pics too.

#6 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:49 PM

I'll have a look now as most of my pics are taken with my (android) phone, two similar cars to mine were taken from quite unusual locations so anything that makes life harder for the buggers is worth it imo, thanks.

#7 zero_wlv

zero_wlv

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I'd also like to add that people should be careful when buying parts online.

If I were a thief who wanted to build up a list of addresses where Minis are kept,   I'd simply start selling a few parts on Ebay at reasonable prices,  and before long I'd have a list of dozens of addresses.   That'd be by far the simplest way to do it.   Almost all Mini owners buy spare parts of accessories frequently.

I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from buying parts off Ebay or similar,   as the large majority of sellers are honest,  but as a precaution I'd recommend having stuff posted to your work address or a relative's address,  rather than the address where the car is actually kept.

#8 Jamie's-81-van

Jamie's-81-van

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:36 PM

Could always use a digital camera for photos, not one of the fancy gps device ones obviously. I know it's more of a pain to up load but it's probably worth the hassle though.

#9 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:44 PM

Could always use a digital camera for photos, not one of the fancy gps device ones obviously. I know it's more of a pain to up load but it's probably worth the hassle though.

I always have and always will do this.

I don't bother with all the latest gear, and it's things like this that make me want to stay that way.

That and the fact i can leave social media etc at home instead of being a mindless drone getting run over because i'm gazing at my smart phone not paying attention  ;D

#10 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:31 PM

If you upload to photobucket you can have it strip out location data. Ashamed to say I didn't realise this was the case, so thanks for posting.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:52 PM

Or just turn off the tag on your device.

#12 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:08 AM

I was first put onto this sort of thing about 7 or 8 years ago when someone was impressed with a few pictures of my mini and then impressed by the spec of the camera that took them, all data was saved and still in the photo's tag when on photobucket.

I had however completely forgot about it, I don't think I've got any tag info on my pics now. I can't see any the way i'd usually check, can you see any information?

#13 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

I was first put onto this sort of thing about 7 or 8 years ago when someone was impressed with a few pictures of my mini and then impressed by the spec of the camera that took them, all data was saved and still in the photo's tag when on photobucket.

I had however completely forgot about it, I don't think I've got any tag info on my pics now. I can't see any the way i'd usually check, can you see any information?

Yes I have your address. Or at least the address where a pic was taken. Treoes

I'm not going to post your full addy but please get in touch with me for an explanation..

#14 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to this. I always make sure the geotags/privacy etc is switched off, but whatever photos I want to upload I sreenprint them and upload the screenprint just to make sure no location details. 

#15 Simon998

Simon998

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

On iOS devices go to; Settings> Privacy> Location Services> Select Camera and then select 'Never'.

Just to note, Facebook and Instagram strip EXIF data before hosting your photos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users