8 replies to this topic

#1 Kaz Farooq

Kaz Farooq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:07 AM

Hi just sorting out oil leak problem and replacing oil seals.

As my drive shafts were out, I thought I would do a clean up and regrease cv joints and change gaiters.
I regreased with Carlube moly grease- lithium based multi purpose grease which is great for such joints.

I then turned my attention to the Timken wheel bearings - tapered types on a brake disc model. Cleaned out and regreased. But I wasn't thinking and used the Carlube moly grease to pack the bearings.
Will I be ok? It's all reassembled now and wheels are back on the car ready to be fired up!

I would have used Castrol GM as I have done in the past but was not thinking!

I went on the Carlube website and it does say it can be used for wheel bearings but just wondered what folks thought.

http://www.carlube.c...-purpose-grease

Kaz

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:28 AM

If the Grease is Good for CVs, it can't be used on Bearings. Likewise, if the Grease is good for Bearings, it can't be used on CVs.

Proper CV Grease is very tacky and may (usually) not allow the rolling elements of a bearing to roll, but usually slide. Inevitably, that causes flat spots on the rolling elements of the bearing, then it's game over.

I used Castrol Greases for probably near on 30 years and thought it great, but in very recent times, my thinking has changed, especially since the last 2 tubs I got also has water in the grease. Castrol was bought out by BP a few years back, and since then, the great range of BP lubricants has gone, and the Castrol stuff isn't what it was.

I've gone over to Timken's grease for the Wheel bearings and a local manufacturer for the CV Grease (Anglomoil).

#3 Kaz Farooq

Kaz Farooq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:47 AM

Oh dear so from the sounds of it I should start again! It is a multipurpose grease as described on web link and and includes wheel bearings in the spec. I may just call the manufacturer. Update y'all later.

#4 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:05 AM

I'm with Moke Spider its a bind but I'd not wait and see if it fails because of the grease

From Car Lubes Website

Application:
  • Constant velocity joints, universal joints, splined shafts, suspension and steering joints, plain bearings and wheel bearings (where recommended)

Wheel Bearings (Where Recommended)

MiniSpares lists Wheel Bearing Grease as LM2 which is a Multi purpose grease inc wheel bearings and carries the same description as Castrol LM grease which I use.

Edited by KernowCooper, 05 October 2016 - 09:23 AM.

#5 Kaz Farooq

Kaz Farooq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:41 AM

'Where recommended' seems like a get out of jail card to cover themselves
Called up Carlube and after a 20 min wait (can't imagine why), he was as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Clearly no mechanical or technical skills. He said it would be ok but seemed unsure until I pointed it out that it was listed in the spec. But one thing he was very clear about (like he was reading it from a crib sheet) that ' Carlube would not be responsible for any failure in the bearings' .
I think I will go with the knowledge on this forum over the school leaver on the telephone.......now where did I leave that ball splitter!

Thanks chaps

Kaz

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

,,,,,,,, was as much use as a chocolate teapot.

:D  :D  :D

That did make me laugh!

Cheers mate ;D

#7 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:30 AM

That grease is useless in CV joints, as explained above. To which I will add some explanation. They require a Molybentone grease which, as it's name implies, does contain molybdenum disulphide but also the VITAL ingredient bentonite, the sticky stuff that makes it stay where it is needed and not rapidly migrate into the gaiter.

I have pointed out here a number of times that what is needed is NOT a "moly" grease, as people whose CV joints are not going to last long persist in calling it. Careless terminology leads to damage, not only to the original perpetrator's car, but to everyone who follows.

The easiest way of getting good CV grease is to buy a tube of it for a modern, larger car. For instance, the standard tube of grease for a Ford Focus CV contains enough for at least two Mini joints, and you get the advantage of many years of improvement in lubrication chemistry. Practically all CV joints are made of the same materials and benefit from the same good quality lubricants.

Please avoid unbranded lubricants sold on Ebay or by certain spares suppliers. Ignorance abounds among all but major lubricant suppliers, as you have discovered. Look after your CV joints and they will have a very long life.

As for wheel bearings, good old LM as it was has served me well on many diverse vehicles, including Minis, but there are better alternatives now and I would follow Timken's recommendations.

And thank you for identifying a lubricant supplier who are best avoided due to their lack of competence. Collectively, that will probably avoid many prematurely worn CV joints and bearings, and save forum members significant avoidable financial outlay.

#8 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:01 PM

'Where recommended' seems like a get out of jail card to cover themselves
Called up Carlube and after a 20 min wait (can't imagine why), he was as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Clearly no mechanical or technical skills. He said it would be ok but seemed unsure until I pointed it out that it was listed in the spec. But one thing he was very clear about (like he was reading it from a crib sheet) that ' Carlube would not be responsible for any failure in the bearings' .
I think I will go with the knowledge on this forum over the school leaver on the telephone.......now where did I leave that ball splitter!

Thanks chaps

Kaz

CarLube? The same company that even recommends the wrong type of oil for some cars ?? Halfords aren't much better!

#9 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:44 PM

Halfords at least have the little mini - catalogue thing on the front of the top shelf which lists the appropriate product for each car. Every spares shelf has one, eg for light bulbs or batteries. There should be one in the oil section too. There may be an occasional error, but at least they try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users