#1 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Local Club: Charnwood Minis

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:36 PM

So this has been a fun project of mine which has been an idea for quite a long time.

I've become known as a bit of a GKN wheel enthusiast, and am lucky to own a few. But one thing I’ve found even harder to find than the wheels is original wheel nuts.

When I purchased my GT it sat on a set of GKN Silverstone wheels (main reason I bought the car!) it did come with 15 correct wheel nuts, and one dodgy one.

As I intended on having the full set refurbished, I also wanted to do something about the nuts. The originals are certainly presentable, but the chrome is flaking and they wouldn't look right on a perfect set of wheels. I also wanted the option of being able to fit a second set of wheels. To a different car.

The nuts a very unique shape, with a sleeved design and a very large hex. I know the easiest way of getting around this issue is to just use a secondary sleeve on a more available wheel nut. But this didn't really sit right with me, and they never “look” right. 

I’d had this idea for quite a while and a few people had talked about using a manual lathe to make up a set, but this ultimately didn’t come to anything .But a new job presented me with access to some pretty cutting edge tech. My day to day job was doing similar, if not much more complicated reverse engineering tasks for customers. So the idea got revived. 

I'd been in the process of producing a CAD model of the wheels in my spare time so drawing up the nuts wasn't too much of a stretch.

This was accompanied with engineering drawings so they could be CNC lathed. 

GKN%20Wheel_zpsvafsh8iq.jpg

GKN%20Wheel%20Nut_zpsj1n5khxr.jpg

The conception and drawings where relatively simple and the correct sized Hex Bar was sourced. Amazing how easily large imperial Hex bar can be found still! The decision was to go for Stainless Steel so that I could polish it rather than mild steel and have it chromed.

This was mainly for ease of manufacture, and too keep the costs down.  

This just left the simple task of the programming and manufacturer.

https://youtu.be/cISKX_qbBss

This was handled by the very capable machine shop at DSN Classics. As this was being done as a personal project it did get bumped down the machine list a little! Eventually it did make it onto the machining list and I received these lovely pictures.

IMG-20160805-WA0005_zpsxys82ddo.jpg

This is just post machining.  The nuts are also custom CNC'd to suit the nuts. 

IMG-20160804-WA0001_zps1u9bty4u.jpg

The sizing was spot on, so the rest of the bar was cut up too!  

IMG-20160806-WA0002_zpsl31odbhc.jpg

A few weeks ago I then made the journey back to Norfolk to collect the finished article.

DSC_3421_zpsnnvlfykc.jpg

There are 3 are sets there, and a few more spares as well. 

I then tried them for size in my refurbished wheels (I've had them sitting for nearly 3 years) 

DSC_3426_zps2elgwcmy.jpg

The proof is in the pudding though!

It was finally time for them to go on the car.

DSC_3434_zpsksulrldi.jpg

DSC_3440_zpsrhd72dut.jpg

DSC_3445_zpssxijv51f.jpg

DSC_3452_zps6zrtlcib.jpg

Look at those reflections! 

I was very happy how these turned out, definitely worth the time and expense!

This also means my Green GT can go back on its original wheels which makes me very happy.

Joe

#2 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

Nice one. I've been looking at this for my GKN wheels with a view to machining some myself.
The difficulty I found was finding a suitable grade material with the correct heat treatment in hex form thereby reducing the amount of machining I had to do.
What grade stainless did you use?

#3 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:01 PM

Love machining like that! Those wheels are just perfect too :wub:

#4 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:20 PM

Wheels look amazing by the way

#5 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

Very nicely done indeed.

I need to get a set like this made for my Eleco Falcons.

#6 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Local Club: Charnwood Minis

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the comments.

The wheels I had refurbished over 3 years ago. Done by a friend of a friend at what is now the British Motor Museum. I've been itching to put them on a car ever since I got them back!

Nice one. I've been looking at this for my GKN wheels with a view to machining some myself.
The difficulty I found was finding a suitable grade material with the correct heat treatment in hex form thereby reducing the amount of machining I had to do.
What grade stainless did you use?

Hi Ivan,

I'm afraid I ordered the bar well over a year ago so the grade has escaped me. I also did a lot of searching for the correct grade as I know stainless is frowned upon for wheel nuts. I ended up going on the recommendation of my boss at the time, which was then sourced through the companies chosen metal supplier.

Joe

#7 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:46 AM

it would need to be something exotic to get the tensile strength, such as the super duplex range of stainless steels. But as you're probably aware that's only part of the story.

#8 Miniclub69

Miniclub69

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:40 PM

I have a set of these wheels I could sell if anybody is interested?

#9 STG95F

STG95F

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:57 PM

PM sent 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users