43 replies to this topic

#31 Russ_IW

Russ_IW

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

I once caught a traffic island with my front O/S wheel, and the impact sent the bonnet flying open and wedged it self on the wipers.

That was pretty scary (as was the repair bill :( )

#32 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:48 PM

Bloody hell, bonnet straps with sharp protrusions?

Think you'll find a stainless grille is alot sharper than any buckles or straps I've fitted..

Scary mongery must be a habit you just can't kick..

To be fair BL/Rover are responsible for the grille, only you will be responsible if you fit nonstandard bits. The late pattern grille will have passed the same test as the IVA uses. It goes with rolled exhaust tips and bumper ends.

#33 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:13 PM

Not scaremongering at all. The buckle on many straps fails IVA and violates Construction and Use Regulations as do many other things. The car as a whole only needs to meet the regulations that applied when it was first registered, unless it needs IVA, but there is no freedom to add parts that are sharp or jagged, which violate CUR. People are still prosecuted regularly for things like jagged bodywork.

All I am saying is that before doing anything to your car that may compromise safety, in this case possibly injuring a pedestrian, you must check that what you are doing is legal, or be prepared to face the consequences. If no-one raises the issue, it will not be thought about and someone will end up in trouble.

There are others on this forum who do appreciate things being kept safe and legal on their cars, even if you do not.

#34 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:43 PM

The reason i have a small strap on VInis bonnet is because my bonnet kept popping, i was doing 70mph i saw it pop and the catch caught it, but because i popped i slowed down ready to stop and push it back down. at about 50mph it flipped up, my brakes went on hard and luckly i didnt break my screen just bent the bonnet and windscreen wipers

812D9F47-6DD5-4BBE-9F0A-76DE7046ADD7-158

F5EE0A81-2B48-4166-986D-7BC578E994AD-158

so i drove home like this 

1948131_10152048021158893_1263598094_n.j

and he now looks like this as i cant afford a new bonnet

13346783_10153587796813093_4728878714999

#35 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:48 PM

Not scaremongering at all. The buckle on many straps fails IVA and violates Construction and Use Regulations as do many other things. The car as a whole only needs to meet the regulations that applied when it was first registered, unless it needs IVA, but there is no freedom to add parts that are sharp or jagged, which violate CUR. People are still prosecuted regularly for things like jagged bodywork.

All I am saying is that before doing anything to your car that may compromise safety, in this case possibly injuring a pedestrian, you must check that what you are doing is legal, or be prepared to face the consequences. If no-one raises the issue, it will not be thought about and someone will end up in trouble.

There are others on this forum who do appreciate things being kept safe and legal on their cars, even if you do not.

but going with what your saying putting spot lights on the front of a car is "endangering" pedestrians due to the very fact that they are glass objects on the front of the car, also the grill has sharp edges that could impale a pedestrian in an accident, as could the dipstick on the engine if you hit them fast enough.

#36 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

No, that is just being ridiculous. Glass is of necessity allowed in the appropriate places, but exposed sharp edges are not, anywhere that they can be contacted. The dipstick is not exposed. That is the law, and it is also very much in line with what anyone who has the slightest comprehension of safety would think.

#37 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:47 PM

Have to say Tiger is right.

You can make an informed choice, if you're prepared to risk and suffer the consequences of being pulled over. It may well be an even smaller chance that someone will be injured by your "appendages", but if they are they'll have had no chance to share in that informed choice.

The argument is about equally petty or sensationalist on both sides really.

#38 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:11 PM

Has anyone ever heard of a driver being prosecuted for having bonnet safety straps, rubber hooks or bonnet pins fitted?

For all motor-sport, including road-registered rally cars, they are mandatory and so far as I know it has never been any sort of safety issue either with C & U or scrutineers. How minor this seems compared with some of the serious safety issues such as GRP flip fronts, wheel spacers, excessive lowering, stretched tyres, etc..

A spotlight bracket is far more likely to cause injury in a frontal impact with a pedestrian

#39 alittleawkward

alittleawkward

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:19 PM

Is this a thing? I've been looking into getting some bonnet straps as mine closes unevenly and would just be a neat little fix to the aesthetic but I'm slightly scared about drilling into the bonnet because I've heard nightmares about rust, but if people are being prosecuted for using them then :/

Edited by alittleawkward, 28 November 2016 - 05:19 PM.

#40 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:01 PM

nope to all of the above... it just because it looks cool :whistling: ...

rr1_zpsgawrnorw.jpg

#41 RichMPiBlue

RichMPiBlue

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:13 PM

Iv got straps on my bonnet because I had a bonnet pop on me when joining a very busy motorway... scary as hell, especially for my 6 month pregnant wife...

It is for me a safety issue, but also I like the look of them too :)

Glad to hear no one was hurt. Bonnet pop ups while driving must be a scary thing. Luckily, for me that is, I have never had it happen (touch wood)! However, on subject, I did wonder what the bonnet straps were all about. Now I know. :) 

#42 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:16 AM

Is this a thing? I've been looking into getting some bonnet straps as mine closes unevenly and would just be a neat little fix to the aesthetic but I'm slightly scared about drilling into the bonnet because I've heard nightmares about rust, but if people are being prosecuted for using them then :/

No-one is or ever has been prosecuted for having these additional safety features on an old car like a classic Mini.

Owners have been prosecuted for illegal number plates, illegal spot-lights (mounted too low and used when it was not foggy), illegal exhaust systems making excessive noise and probably other C & U issues, but never safety straps/hooks/bonnet pins which are serious safety improvements - unless someone has concrete evidence otherwise with details of the prosecution and penalty  ;D .

#43 felixy69

felixy69

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:33 PM

I guess they replaced the leather bonnet strap with duct tape and zip ties lol

#44 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:33 PM

Got a full size "ADULT MICHELIN MAN SUIT"  if ya interested Tiger, but it might interfere with driving a Mini,you'd have to explain to the cops it's to protect you from deadly toggle switches etc etc. ;D

Edited by Scousemouse, 29 December 2016 - 10:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users