4 replies to this topic

#1 Shaggy33

Shaggy33

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:00 PM

Very frustrating day on the mini today. Every job I went to do which I thought would take half an hour or less either took hours to do. Some jobs I gave up on like this one!
Has anyone fitted the collar using m5 bolts Rather than the split pins? The bolts seem a good fit with little play. I ask this because I spent about an hour under the car today trying to get the damn pins in but failed. I even tried to get the pins started in the collar before offering up to the car but struggled with that too (couldn't get them straight).
I can't see how they go in, they're so tight
Any guidance/advice appreciated

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:08 PM

First they are not split pins they are roll pins

If you are reusing some the edges can get flared causing issues. A slight clean up with s file is good.

Do not use bolts.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

The Pins do need some hardness to them. Bolts just aren't hard enough and any threaded section of the bolts inside the shifter shaft will file away at it. The collar and shaft in the gearbox are hard so not likely to worry them.

From mempry, these are 7/32" Roll Pins, so 5 mm are too small, they are closer to 5.5 mm. If you were to fit 5 mm bolts in there, it would feel awful.

I've had a few where the Pins have been very tight, once started in the holes, usually off car, I then 'press' them in with vice grips, just taking a small bite each time. A few times, I've even needed to use the vice grips to close up the Roll Pin to get them started in the collar.

Also, if you can, select Reverse, it puts the shaft on the gearbox end in a better position for access.

#4 Shaggy33

Shaggy33

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

Sorry I meant roll pins, it occurred to me just after I posted it!
I'll give it another go I'm just concerned that some pretty forceful hammering will damaged the output post from gear box!

#5 Shaggy33

Shaggy33

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

Good tip about closing pins slightly with vice grips!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users