4 replies to this topic

#1 MRFINCH

MRFINCH

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:53 PM

Really need some help, video link attached.  does anyone know what might be causing my mini to run this badly, sometimes its ok but sometimes gets really bad and just doesn't want to accelerate. Thought it was down to a big loop of rubber fuel pipe put on by an AA guy causing an air lock between pump and carb, once i re routed it it ran amazingly for about 20 mins then when i started it back up went back to normal. really really frustrating. thinking about getting a new fuel pump, could this be the problem? pretty confident that timing and mixture are ok...

1993 single carb 1275

#2 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:10 PM

Air being drawn into the fuel system will not allow the float chamber in your carb to fill correctly which will cause the engine to run erratic, this might not be the cause but well worth checking. Check that your fuel line connections are tight, no splits/cracks in your pipes, if you have a spare pump that is known to be good try it.

Were the symptoms the same before the AA changed the pipe? Was the old pipe damaged/split and what was his reasoning/justification for changing it? Have you checked the AA technicians work and are the connections tight?

#3 MRFINCH

MRFINCH

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

Hi Neal, thanks for the tips, all of the connections are tight and the hose is ok, there is an inline fuel filter but thats alright too. 

I was having problems before the AA guy, he replaced the fuel pipe because it was a metal one and it was touching the exhaust header, he thought this would be ruining the fuel so ran a new rubber one up and over the top of the carb.

Should this pipe be metal?

I don't have a spare pump sadly, I had the carb off just after the AA guy and didnt fit a new gasket, could this have had an effect?

#4 SuperDeLuxeNick

SuperDeLuxeNick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis Portsmouth

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:23 AM

take the carb float chamber off and apart and clean it all out - the tiniest amount of dirt can cause issues.

#5 MRFINCH

MRFINCH

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

the reason I had the carb off was to clean it out and I was quite sure its clean when I put it back together... maybe I should go again?

Edited by MRFINCH, 26 October 2016 - 10:24 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users