Photo

Problem!genuine Boot Floor Mounting Holes?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:31 PM

Been obsessing about this and wondering if anyone has been in my position.  So I have doe everything I can possibly to make the holes line up better.  

The heel board is original and is fully intact and in original position.  Also, the floor is a super tight fit and lines up well with the bottom of the rear arches which are original and mostly solid as well.  Further, the boot floor flange toward the rear lines up pretty bang on with the rear panel, where it's flange and lower valance sandwich each other.  I have the original genuine subframe , and another subframe, fitted them both with the same results.  I have also 2 sets of mounting brackets used.  

I am roughly within about 7mm.  My thinking is that as long as the front and rear subframes line up, I am ok.  Also, am I correct in saying that Genuine panels may not be accurate and 7mm off is within acceptable error?  I am just afraid there is something I am missing.

Any help or concern is greatly appreciated!

20161213_160218_zpsyqsdx7qy.jpg

a62e9f1c-67ae-43a3-a936-c758cc419092_zps

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:39 PM

I think that trunnion is the wrong way round?

That may cause an issue.

I have had them out like that and can usually push them into place to drop a bolt in with the other trunnions loosened off on their pins

#3 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:37 PM

That may cause an issue.

I have had them out like that and can usually push them into place to drop a bolt in with the other trunnions loosened off on their pins

Uhh, I am an idiot, they do line up!  Just have a little side to side adjustment to do.  I guess you lose track of things when you procrastinate for too long.  Thanks for the help Ben!    

This is one of those Keep It Simple things I guess...

Would anyone blame me for attempting to delete this post and remove any traces of it? 

Edited by jchomme, 13 December 2016 - 10:40 PM.

#4 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:41 PM

That may cause an issue.

Uhh, I am an idiot, they do line up!  Just have a little side to side adjustment to do.  I guess you lose track of things when you procrastinate for too long.  Thanks for the help Ben!    

This is one of those Keep It Simple things I guess...

Would anyone blame me for attempting to delete this post and remove any traces of it? 

Glad you sorted it. :-)

Ben

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:44 AM

Yes, as someone may come across a similar issue and, sometimes, it's the simplest answer that people overlook. Glad you got it sorted though.

#6 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

I agree that posts like this should be kept, not to point the finger at people for being stupid, because we all are sometimes, but as a lesson to inexperienced people, and even the very experienced, that one of the first things to do is CHECK THE OBVIOUS. Most of us forget that all too often. I know I do.

Oh, and there is often sufficient misalignment to make fitting the subframe a real pain, with some of the trunnions bushes under a bit of preload, needing various devious tricks to get the bolts in. I had that problem on a Mini owned from new, with no accidents, when I dropped the subframe for rust preventative work. No doubt it had been originally forced in using various implements at the factory, accompanied by much profanity. As long as it sits symmetrically and the wheel alignment is correct, that is ok. Probably the reason why very few people use solid bushes or even poly.

#7 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:10 PM

I agree that posts like this should be kept, not to point the finger at people for being stupid, because we all are sometimes, but as a lesson to inexperienced people, and even the very experienced, that one of the first things to do is CHECK THE OBVIOUS. Most of us forget that all too often. I know I do.

Oh, and there is often sufficient misalignment to make fitting the subframe a real pain, with some of the trunnions bushes under a bit of preload, needing various devious tricks to get the bolts in. I had that problem on a Mini owned from new, with no accidents, when I dropped the subframe for rust preventative work. No doubt it had been originally forced in using various implements at the factory, accompanied by much profanity. As long as it sits symmetrically and the wheel alignment is correct, that is ok. Probably the reason why very few people use solid bushes or even poly.

Totally agree.  I was kidding about deleting it out of embarrassment. 

#8 Dr s

Dr s

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:05 PM

I've used the subby as a jig when refitting panels before now.. then it always fits! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users