#1 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Local Club: Sasmog.co.uk

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:00 PM

Ok couple of weeks ago i started getin no Oil Pres so we left it till wee got home, when we went back to it it had all cooled down and had oil pres, next day check oil it jsut driped off the dip stick it had gone relaly runny, so let it drain over night, next day we put new oil in, and went racing, happend again oil had gone really runny and no oil pres when flat out, so dad went and spent 30pound on this stuff that covers your engine compents inside and it swears you can run with no oil inthe car for miles!, it works i had no oil pres but the car ran fine! no ratterling so that did it for the day,

couple of us think it could be the fuel pump diaframe has broken inside? and i sleakin Petrol into the sump?

has anyone had this?

Hope you understand

Ollie

Edited by Ollie180, 13 September 2006 - 10:06 PM.

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:58 AM

I gave a quick answer to this in Bungles thread. Check for bubbles in the oil on the dipstick. There were other methods to check for fuel in your oil, can't quite remember them yet though.

Anyway, until you've ruled out the possibility of fuel getting into your oil, and therefore into your gearbox DO NOT run the engine, a sump full of petrol apparently makes a very good bomb!

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:04 AM

no oil pressure whatever the cause is bad news...

#4 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:07 AM

I gave a quick answer to this in Bungles thread. Check for bubbles in the oil on the dipstick. There were other methods to check for fuel in your oil, can't quite remember them yet though.

Anyway, until you've ruled out the possibility of fuel getting into your oil, and therefore into your gearbox DO NOT run the engine, a sump full of petrol apparently makes a very good bomb!

my mate had the same prob years ago and it turn out to be the petrol pump was leaking into the engine change it and it was fine after that, but he never lost oil pressure just has a strong smell of petrol every time he lifted the bonnet then when he did oil change noticed it was a lot thinner than normal and it smelt of petrol ?? you might have done some damage to your engine if you've run it with the oil light on ?

#5 Stoo

Stoo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:41 AM

Pull out the dipsick and see if the oil burns easily. Normal oil will take a bit to light. Petrol wont!

Sounds like you've identified the problem but I fear too late for damage not to have been done already ;D

#6 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:35 AM

dad went and spent 30pound on this stuff that covers your engine compents inside and it swears you can run with no oil inthe car for miles!, it works i had no oil pres but the car ran fine! no ratterling so that did it for the day,

Oh dear.... if i had a a pound for everytime someone claims an additive can work lol!

These additives do not cure anything i'm afraid and, in my opinion are no better than a bodge done at mr and mrs bodge's garage in bodgeville. The problem is they just Hide the symptoms... they make the car easier to drive because they stop you worrying, but trust me the problem is still there.

It's a bit like someone selling engines on Ebay that claim to be low mileage bullet proof engines, when really all they've done is painted them.

If you have no oil pressure buddy, no amount of magic formula is going to be able to get it back, you have a serious problem, If this additive has coated everything in a lubricateing layer of (i think they use a cermaic based ingredient) gunge, chances are your oil ways, galleries and feeds are now all blocked up with it, meaning when you do get oil pressure... you aint gonna get it where it's needed.

Really hope we can get to the bottom of this Ollie, Hate to see a mini broken and a worried owner.
Fingers crossed Mate :'(

#7 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:16 PM

well thew people seem to say fuel pump so im guna change it 2night and put some MORE new oil in it :'(

the engine is still good doesnt seem to done ne ov damage

Thanks for your help will let you no the out come

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:38 PM

the engine is still good doesnt seem to done ne ov damage

Do you know this because you've stripped it down and inspected bearings and shells, etc? ;D

#9 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:50 PM

i said ov damage i mean its not ratterling or tapperty

#10 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:28 PM

These additives do not cure anything i'm afraid and, in my opinion are no better than a bodge done at mr and mrs bodge's garage in bodgeville. The problem is they just Hide the symptoms... they make the car easier to drive because they stop you worrying, but trust me the problem is still there.

Also, the majority of oils are made for separate engine/box and not specifically for the combined unit.

And as already been said, the only way to tell if you've done any damage is to strip it down.

What's ov damage? ;D

#11 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:34 PM

My guess is ov=obvious

#12 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

i had my fuel pump leak petrol into the sump. wouldn't have noticed unless i left that rag in my car.

did it around crimbo it was fun chaning a fuel pump while its snowing on you.

#13 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

Thats nothing adam i did my whole rear subframe in the snow!! outside with no garage!!

#14 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:56 PM

aint they a ass to change with engine in ;D lol

new fuel pump and oil :-

Posted Image

guna get it up to temp 2 moz its bit to late to rev it up at mo but its got oil pres whitch is a start now to see if it goes fine whn warms up

cheers for your help

Edited by Ollie180, 14 September 2006 - 07:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users