#16 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:15 AM

The no engine out approach seems the simplest, the rockers are probably the easiest option, but would get springs to match, also if you're looking at a decent stg3, get one with at least 29mm exhausts, many heads have overly large inlets at the expense of small exhausts.

The above would not preclude a later engine out, displacement increase and cam change..

#17 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Local Club: Birmingham Mini Owners Club / Bruuuums Mini's

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:43 AM

GW as good as ever made, in a nutshell as always.

Edited by Clubby1275GT, 15 September 2006 - 08:43 AM.

#18 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:34 PM

GW as good as ever made, in a nutshell as always.

how does a chap know what springs 'match' and what does it depend on? Stronger springs use more BHP, but stop vavle bounce or something right?

Do you mean 'match' the rockers, the cam and rockers, the rockers, cam and head or what?

Cheers

#19 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:15 PM

I'd reccomend reading Calver's articles on minispares about modified heads and rockers... can be a bit of a hard read but he does explain things as simply as he can and he likes to compare the cost to the benefits. i'd say its worth a read before parting with a wad of beer tokens for something you don't really know about.

Rock on

Obviously this is only his opinion and he mentions often that other experts don't always agree with him, but he knows more than me ;D

#20 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

I went the "bolt on route" on my first mini and I loved every minute of driving that as it was very easily noticed how much quicker it was everytime I put a new part on it.

If I was you, Id only get a handful of parts. First thing would be the cam and rockers. I'd go for either a Kent 276 or a SW5 as mentioned above along with either 1.3 or 1.5 ratio rockers. That way, the power will be delivered where it'll be most useful to you.

Next would be the head. Nothing major. Just a stage 2 or 3. Failing that, if you can find a decent Cooper S item, that will be fine with some of the usual inexpensive work done to it. At this point you might as well carry out the simplest mods which costs next to nothing too. This will be fitting dowels to the inlet manifold and head and then matching them. Every little helps after all and there's no point spending money on a head and then fitting your tiny inlet manifold to it.

After this I'd definatly fit a lightened flywheel. When I first fitted mine, I was rather shocked at how different it made the car feel. A hell of alot more eager to go and definatly quicker off the line.

I don't reckon this little will blow a huge hole in anybodies pocket. Especially if you like walking around the autojumbles.

Oh and most importantly......get it to a rolling road to get it set up after. For the sake of £50-60 it makes all the difference ;D

Edited by Oldskoolbaby, 24 September 2006 - 01:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users