Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Local Club: HMC

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

Hi,

I'm in the process of cutting out rust at the moment and wanted to know :-

1) Regarding the rear mounting of the rear subframe, how, exactly is the body in that area made up? I can see the stiffener that connects to the wheel arch but under that all I have is rust :'(

2) I am looking at getting a couple of lower front windscreen replacement corners. In that area that the windscreen rubber fits onto, how is that 'lip' made up? It's just that the area at the top of the inner wing under the scuttle end is rusty and needs sorting and it looks like it connects up there somewhere!!

I hope I've explained this well enough ;D

Cheers,

Spud.

#2 orangemin

orangemin

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Local Club: Northants

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:15 AM

hiya mate,

Not sure what you mean in question 1 but as for Q2 I would replace the whole of the scuttle panel rather than just the corners. It'll be alot easier than cutting out the corners, welding them back and smoothing

Adam

#3 spud

spud

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for that ! I'll bear that in mind.

With reference to Q1 I have had another look and am guessing that the rear subframe rear mount fixes onto 3 layers in total. The top layer (under the fixing bolt head) is the strengthener, the second layer is the boot floor skin but I can't make out what the bottom layer is -any ideas?

I have to replace the subframe so I might be able to see it better with it removed ;D

Cheers,

spud.

#4 orangemin

orangemin

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:07 PM

No idea sorry. Mine is a little rusty around the bracket but the bracket itself is fine. I've just replaced my subby, radius arms etc - I bet you'll need new shocks too.....then you'll decide you need hi-los.....

#5 spud

spud

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:12 PM

I feel better already ;D

Where's the cheapest place to get a rear subframe at the moment? a pattern one will do!!

Cheers,

spud.

#6 orangemin

orangemin

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

I REALLY would spend a little more and get a genuine one. I'd take it all apart and inspect everything then take a trip to Minispares with a full list. If you get the parts that you think you need before taking everything apart you will be constantly hounded by needing new bits to replace those that are knackered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users