#1 Findlay94

Findlay94

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

Hi guys,

Ive been offered an awesome conversion of a 1.8 VVC mid-engined, rear wheel drive clubman.

Now, its been at santa pod (and ran 13 seconds!), but its never been made rosd legal.

From your knowledge and experiences, do you think it could eacape an iva test?

I find the whole iva thing very much a grey area.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Findlay94, 17 January 2017 - 07:51 PM.

#2 CPC

CPC

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Does it have the V5 doc for the original car? 

This will cause people to cry and make out you've committed crime of the century.  But id just send it for an MOT and see what happens.

I guess this is made from an MGF subframe mounted in the rear?

#3 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

It does definitely need an IVA, until that's done every MOT is a risk that it'll get the box ticked and pulled in.  If you get lucky with the first MOT, I'd stick to that tester as long as you can.

The only grey area is if it was involved in an accident whether the insurance could end up being invalidated if facts come to light and how much that could cost you if the accident was sufficiently serious.  That's the risk you would be taking, how you weigh that up is a personal decision.  Low risk, but potentially unlimited consequence.

Personally I certainly wouldn't buy it if an IVA would be impossible to pass, and it might be if there isn't documentation to support where all the bits have come from and when, or if you didn't want the hassle and cost of getting it through.

A bit off-topic but, I'm actually surprised that insurance companies haven't started asking for evidence of correct registration for modified vehicles.  My Mini is actually a Mini based kit car, correctly registered etc.  When I bought and insured it and explained what it was I expected to be asked for the V5 or IVA if applicable, as it is the insurance company only have my word and the fact that it's passed an MOT as evidence of what they're insuring.

#4 Findlay94

Findlay94

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

CPC: He has the original V5 yes, and I know an MOT'er that had a VTEC mini..so I'll get his opinion

Paul: Having done some more research, I think you're bang on the money. 

I know the guy who is selling the car, but sadly he wont have receipts for the parts...so sva isnt possivle :( It's a shame, because he's done a cracking job with it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users