3 replies to this topic

#1 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

I'm about to buy a 1275 lump from a Metro at my local scrappy for my 1100 Clubby. However I have a few questions..

Will I need anything? My good friend on here has a 998 Metro engine in his Mini fine, will I encounter any problems?

Can I use my current carb on my 1098? If not, what do I need? There is a carb on there, but apparently it wont work with my mini?

Clutch.. On the Metro its a Verto, I don't currently have a Verto clutch, what issues will I have there?

There is no engine steadys on the metro, presumably I can bolt my mounts on? Do I need any other funky mounts at all?

Any help on this is brilliant!

Thanks, Sam.

(I dont plan putting it in my mini just yet, I think I'm going to take some time and money to make it a nice engine, but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into!)

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

No reason why the carm on the metro engine will not fit in the mini, it's probably an HIF 44 which is well suited... You will need to conver your starter wiring from inertia to pre-engaged if you want to use the metro clutch, also, if it's not hydralic, replace the cable with the appropriate hydralic system for a verto clutch... ( or remove the flywheel from your 1098 and replace the entire clutch, starter & flywheel on the metro )

Also, is there a garuntee n the engine, and have you seen it running.. If not I would be tempted to split it apart first and check it, last thing you need to be doing it putting a knackered 1275 in, only to have to remove it a few weeks later.

All the engine steadies will fit... Do you have the radiator for the 1275 ( side mounted ) if not, you'll have to use the rad off you 1098 and get a new top radiator bracket for the 1275.

Finally, what sort of ignition system you got with the 1275, electronic or points ( either way you may have some wiring to do their )

Think that's enough to be going on with !

#3 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for your helpfull reply!

Well, the Metro is 1990 (G reg) and my mini is 1976 (P reg), so there will no doubt be some differences with wiring.

I havn't seen the engine running as of yet, I'm going to view it again tomorrow so I will ask if I can see it running.

As for the rad, umm don't know on that. I spose I could just ask to have the rad with it.

Again, not sure with the ignition. Most likely points.

Thanks, again.

#4 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:49 PM

I'm almost certain that all the MG metros came with HIF44 and electronic ignition. You will need to get the distributor, coil and the carb from the metro.

You won't be able to use the metro radiator as they're completely different. You will need to buy (as GW has said) a 1275 top radiator bracket. (About £5 from mini suppliers).

Good luck ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users