#1 cookiemonster1

cookiemonster1

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: Notts About Minis

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

I've been a long time user of TMF but due to not having a mini, I mostly kept quiet, kept looking and kept dreaming!

So during November last year after being fed up of not having one, I decided to start looking for my first mini!

So I went to look at a car local to me to just try to get a feel for what sort of car I could get for my money and then this happened...
IMG_20161210_114700_zpsvlwapwkq.jpg

He's a 1976 Clubman 1100cc in Harvest Gold with 8 previous owners, 93k miles on the clock and a previous rebuild in 2012.

The car was on an eBay auction when saw him which finished that afternoon. I wanted to get my dad up to view the car before I made a decision but he couldn't come up until after the auction so I had to wait and see if it sold. Luckily for me it didn't and I'm now the proud owner!

The previous owners had fitted new rear brakes, new clutch, new hubs, new rear subframe, 4 new tyres and a new interior/seat covers.

I thought I'd make a thread to keep a track of my progress and to allow me to tap into the knowledge of all you guys on here when I have problems!

Here are the pics from the eBay when I saw him.

Screenshot_20161124-160347_zps7ylnwb48_e

Screenshot_20161124-160401_zps1umi5gzj_e

Screenshot_20161124-160352_zps0bwssluw_e

Screenshot_20161124-160452_zpsfrfmejvc_e

Screenshot_20161124-160407_zpsgrtp4mjy_e

Screenshot_20161124-160420_zps49nf58xp_e

Screenshot_20161124-160426_zpsyenwepa3_e

Screenshot_20161124-160432_zpsnr0hfaou_e

Screenshot_20161124-160440_zpsbwsckpqo_e

Screenshot_20161124-160446_zpsf8ytznx1_e

#2 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

Nice looking car. Enjoy.

#3 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:20 PM

I saw this. It's so retro it's makes me want to listen to 70s Disco.

#4 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:18 PM

What a nice looking Mini, those front floors look mint. Very nice find. Enjoy

#5 cookiemonster1

cookiemonster1

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local Club: Notts About Minis

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

I saw this. It's so retro it's makes me want to listen to 70s Disco.

Thank, greenmini1275!

I think its ace and don't plan on changing much as I think it's almost perfect as it is! Maybe new seats and new wheels...

slidehammer, the floors are very good and I cant believe it to be honest. The only visible rust is around the roof guttering which I need to get looked at as I'm concerned it will have penetrated further than it looks...

I managed to do a bit of work to the car at the weekend which was good as I haven't managed to do much although I've been buying lots of bits for him.

I managed to change the choke cable which wasn't locking so the previous owner was using a 20p to hold it out. Need to find something to spend the 20p on now though! Any suggestions? 

It was easy enough to change but the switch fascia was the most frustrating and fiddly job! Trying to get the brackets back into the holes to secure the fascia was a nightmare when you're upside down in the footwell!

I noticed whilst doing this that the heater control cable is solid and doesn't want to budge. My understanding is that it is supposed to pull out of the dash and lock to prevent warm water circulating through the heater to the air from the unit is cold? Currently, my heater is running warm and the cable is solid... What can I do to try and get the cable moving as I think it may be the valve from the head that has seized...

I also managed to fit my new clock surround as the old one was previously superglued to the clocks and didn't survive the disassembly....

Also started getting the carpets up with a view to fitting the soundproofing I bought at Bingley. I'm currently going to fit without using glue to secure the underlay but does anyone think I'd need to or that it'd be better? I don't see any issues with it moving around under the carpet but I am willing to bow to superior knowledge!

I've still got to fit a 12v socket for charging satnavs and phones and a new throttle cable whilst giving the engine bay a clean and tidy but apart from that I just want to drive him!

#6 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:03 PM

Stunning Clubby, enjoy!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clubman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users