53 replies to this topic

#1 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:11 PM

So i have cheated a little bit and bought a mini that is already converted. I bought it in July without viewing it first :o. Here's a picture from eBay.

eeeoDA.jpg

Heres' the spec from the advert:

C16se engine on a diesel gearbox to give acceptable top end/engine revs
Rose jointed adjustable front end
All round Hi Los
4 pot Vented metro brakes
Standard wheels and tyres, adds to the shock value taking off from the lights
Two bucket seats with 4 point harnesses,no other interior
Opening rear windows changed for fixed
Sunroof
The wings and front panel are all in one and removable,as is the bonnet landing panel,separately,to aid future engine removal
New doors skins, and bottom 4ish inches of the door frames  ,
New A panels,
New wings,
Front panel,rear lip of boot floor, back under bumper panel and closing panels,rear sections of back wings
Heritage rear subframe 6 year ago
No Filler
This has been an ongoing project and is taxed tested and insured, but not been used since February, when the alternator packed up ,another one from a Suzuki swift was fitted,

I got on the train to Sheffield and met the seller Paul. 

wiovpe.jpg
Train seats were a bit snug

Car was actually as solid as described which was a massive relief as I had booked a one way ticket!

Paul gave me a run through of everything on the car, offered many cups of tea, gave me a load of spares and a big box on mini magazines and I was on my way.

It also came with a big box of recipes including the original bill of sale! Are even a few old for sale signs, it sold once for £130 :( another is £3500

ZE7FD8.jpg
On the way home

iQLMtC.jpg
Money shot

#2 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:21 PM

So the first job is to sort the paint, it has been resprayed and is not in great shape, is flaking off in places. Will also be nice to have it all one colour. 

And so it begins.

UQ06U8.jpg
Sand off all the old paint.

clhnfH.jpg
Red oxide primer.

GE3z93.jpg
repete 

BehMGA.jpg

sHK1P9.jpg
making progress 

LVDdo2.jpg
And filler primer on top

#3 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:25 PM

Same engine that's in my Astwa, just the 1600 version. I would get some ITB's, and save a huge amount of space. :highfive:

Edited by Anthony30, 12 February 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#4 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:36 PM

So like most sunroofs this one leaks, I'm not a fan of it so out it goes. 

Wasn't too sure how to go about this as I didn't fancy welding a new roof in. Decided to go for a fibre glass roof, I don't want to have to fit a roll cage so it will be bonded on top of the old roof once the sunroof is removed. Is bit of a compromise but the best of a bad bunch. 

SMuq0T.jpg
Roof was a bit of a tight fit in a Peugeot 208.

flHtYl.jpg
Qr1kep.jpg
Roof in place and starting to take shape.

Qr1kep.jpg
15ExKu.jpg
Had to take quite a lot of paint off to get it smooth, I now regret the red oxide but we live and we learn!

So the inside of the bonnet and boot were covered in some kind of glue holding on sounds proofing and god knows what kind of paint. The bonnet especially it would not budge, paint stripper, wire brush, nothing would move it. I realised even if I could get it off it would never be smooth! I didn't want to spend a huge amount of time on them so this is my solution. 

8VEkjX.jpg
vgchfh.jpg
kRlkFP.jpg
I used some hammer effect metal paint. I had the choice of black or silver, thought silver would be easier to paint over. 

I've never used this kind of paint before and it's pretty cool how it goes on like normal gloopy paint and then shrinks up like its been hammered! Was cheap from Toolstation as well.

VbLAII.jpg
With regular primer on top, not so shiny.

#5 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:56 PM

Up next is the welding, it needed both door steps (big cloud off white filler when sanding these down), one full outer sill (also had some filler in but kind of expected as the other one has been done), holes from many different sets of arches welding up and a patch in the floor. Not too bad!

yv1Gn6.jpg
vyjxu5.jpg
Old one had about 3 patches and loads of holes so whole thing came out

Y9740n.jpg
kYUsP0.jpg
a3TgG6.jpg
Both sides all done 

pASm8B.jpg
poorly sill

VeV9yl.jpg
looks alright inside

akxpwz.jpg
Dodgey patch

GLu4Dj.jpg

9frurs.jpg

zVVXX6.jpg

Not got a picture of the final sill on but it looks good!

kr3W6w.jpg
Old arch holes all gone 

#6 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:04 PM

Next steps are finish paint prep and respray in Smoke Grey BU15, will be using cellulose. Some of the stone chip is bright blue this will be black as will the inside of the arches, sills will be blue as though. 

Inner wings will be coming out as they aren't actually connected to anything as the front end is removable, they have already been chopped in places. 

Then I have some cooper s brakes and some 5x10 minilites, will not be fitting arches.

Also have some new lowered spax shocks as it is still on standard shocks! Geometry needs sorting as is miles out atm.

Interior it will be getting centre 3 clocks, and a rev counter. I have a Harness bar from Jon Betts, some speedwell classic buckets and some Sabelt 4 point harnesses. Also have various bits of trim. 

Exterior MK1 grill will be staying, have some over riders to go on and a few other bits of trim. A speedwell badge for the bonnet and some stick on plates.

Engine has developed a slight top end knock that will need sorting out as well.  

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:08 PM

Hammerite is bad news for paint reaction. Be careful where you use it.

#8 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:17 PM

Hammerite is bad news for paint reaction. Be careful where you use it.

OK cheers for the warning, only used it on the inside of the bonnet and boot, will keep an eye on it. 

#9 Magic jason

Magic jason

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:48 PM

Same engine that's in my Astwa, just the 1600 version. I would get some ITB's, and save a huge amount of space. :highfive:

Saving space is great and all that, but the real reason to get ITB's is because INSANE AMOUNT OF SEX APPEAL. 

#10 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

Saving space is great and all that, but the real reason to get ITB's is because INSANE AMOUNT OF SEX APPEAL. 

I've looked into possible power upgrades, ITB's would be great but even using bike throttle bodies and mega squirt it will cost over £1k for about 20bhp more. Converting to carbs costs about half as much for about the same power, or use the saved money on a cam and make even more. 

Other option would be to convert to a 16v C16XE engine, could probably get one for about £200, with a new inlet, air filter, manifold and a chipped ecu they make about 140bhp, so priced somewhere between the two but a lot more work. 

The slight knock coming from the top end will probably dictate where I go next engine wise. I am hoping to leave it as is this year and maybe do something next winter. 

Edited by JakeJakeJake, 26 February 2017 - 01:30 PM.

#11 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

Here's a picture of the finished sill.

L0tbq0.jpg
1hQ9JG.jpg

Will eventually be painted the same colour a the body.

Outside is almost there only a few little lumps and bumps left.

ez12FU.jpg
LnBXrq.jpg

Has needed a little skim of filler places where some patches have been welded in.

JkLCLQ.jpg
Ny86XN.jpg

Removed the top dash cover as I will be fitting centre clock. Was a bit of pain to get off as two out of three nuts just kept turning, managed to chop one end off and get an angle grinder on the bolts. Other problem is it looks like we weren't the first to try and remove it, but whoever tried last just pulled on it so it's a little bent, should straighten out OK though.

EfTlSK.jpg

Started on sanding back and priming the rest of the interior.

gL6fUm.jpg
vvliPs.jpg
UxteXD.jpg

Is only the first coat with rattle cans. Will give it one more flat it back, then go over with cellulose primer with a spray gun before top coat.

#12 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:04 PM

So front end is off as we are really not happy with the fit, there is quite a big gap between the front panel and the wings and the whole thing is going to take a lot of fettling to fit close to well, was kind of hidden by the multi coloured panels. The wings are heritage and will be fine to use again, will use heritage A panels and a pattern front panel (they are just as good). Using a pre 76 (I think) front panel as these are solid mounted at the front so a bit easier to make removable.

Jqt25P.jpg

L5jUDR.jpg

Strange thing on the inner wing, look like a piece has been chopped out and welded back in a different way round.

dmbjjg.jpg

Chopped the inner wings completely off, as the front end is removable they don't attach to anything, will be adding some brace bars instead. Rest of the inner wing is stripped back.

Nm9vau.jpg

Inner arches now treated re seam sealed and primed, will be stolen chipped and painted in top coated. Front end all done, just needs A panels welded on and brackets making. 

YrCMPl.jpg

Got some new wheels, are in the bath because they were muddy!

16omrf.jpg

People sometimes find strange things inside cars they are restoring, how about this?

Jf7Rf5.jpg

Someone missing a cane? 

#13 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:19 PM

The sill the previous owner replaced is missing a section and not in the best of shape.

uAIlZl.jpg

had to chop a bit out 

Cj03ik.jpg

and all finished, had to do a couple of extra welds along it as well, but looks good as new now 

TvbY2i.jpg

Rear inner arches are getting same treatment as the front although were not quite as solid. 

FIdYQR.jpg
rZFpL9.jpg
M7Kkfe.jpg
bNztCX.jpg
AjQ5n3.jpg
ivNLlB.jpg
opXpg5.jpg
rcK6hP.jpg
q8QCJg.jpg
8L8wLH.jpg
py8mfn.jpg
xTJX83.jpg

The holes were hidden with filler, was fairly fitted to had to shop out some quite big sections to get metal thick enough to weld to. Had to drop the rear subframe to get access which is a bit of a pain. Also needed a small patch in the boot.  

Car is now 100% rust free and ready for paint prep.

Main things that still need doing are make and fit brace bars, relocate and fit new radiator (got a alloy MPI rad that is thicker than standard), make brackets and fit front end, check door alignment with new front end, bonnet will be on pins so need to make mounts and remove the bracing, mount harness bar and probably a lot more but these are next on the to do list. 

#14 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:04 PM

Boot floor is now all solid and painted, Subframe has also been painted

NvJnGs.jpg

Got the doors and the A panels all lined up

hQajQ7.jpg

And some cut and shutting to get the front all lined up nicely

Bjtj0y.jpg
fRcPis.jpg
mj4GIv.jpg
melnLo.jpg
z9TqDF.jpg
fhOdNT.jpg

#15 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

Good bit of work going on here, be nice to see some colour on her too. That front wing with the patch welded on it is a bit odd!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users