42 replies to this topic

#1 leigh21

leigh21

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:11 PM

So I've had this idea for a while now and I found a back end of a mini on eBay for £65 and so it began! Here's what I picked up last week
IMG_6492.jpg

IMG_6494.jpg

IMG_6495.jpg

I had a hour on it this afternoon and the rust bug has hit it pretty hard so I've decided to cut out the floor and make a frame from box section and weld the panels to that, at least that's the plan at the minute. So here's what's left
IMG_6552.jpg
Now I'm only a novice at this sort of thing but as long as it can withstand a bit of wind and a few sausages then I'll be ok ;) progress will be a little slow for the next week or so but after that it'll be full steam ahead!

#2 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:02 AM

Cool I like it. What's going to be the lid? Would make a pretty good pizza oven with the boot lid lol

#3 leigh21

leigh21

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:14 AM

I'm thinking about making a polished concrete worktop to go on it with the bbq in that,

#4 leigh21

leigh21

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

So i imagine there's a few people thinking I'm nuts, but bear with me! I got out in the garage this afternoon after getting some welding gas and had a try on some scrap bits as I haven't used the welder for about 2 years :/ first attempts were well let's say not great, after having a play about with the settings I started getting a little better IMG_6634.jpg
upload image
Still room for improvement I think.
After all the messing about I managed to repair the bottom of the rear quarter with a piece of metal i cut from the parcel shelf IMG_6631.jpg
upload image

IMG_6632.jpg
upload image
Hopefully there will be more progress tomorrow now I've been and got some supplies. Thanks

#5 leigh21

leigh21

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

So I started by cutting some sheet steel and once tacked into place looked something like this
IMG_6637.jpg
upload photo album online

IMG_6638.jpg

I found it quite difficult to weld it from the inside so I seam welded it from the outside
IMG_6640.jpg
IMG_6642.jpg
IMG_6643.jpg

I ran out of gas after finishing this bit so I began shaping a piece of metal that will form a 2" lip around the top giving it a bit more strength and also this will give me something to seal the concrete top too once I've made it which will hopefully keep it water tight too
IMG_6646.jpg

#6 Lord Lucan

Lord Lucan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:07 AM

Any progress? Looking good

#7 leigh21

leigh21

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

No progress as of yet been so busy with work and stuff, hopefully more updates next weekend watch this space 🤗

#8 matthew25

matthew25

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

if you don't mind me asking what have you done with the rear bulkhead and shelf?

#9 Minimattvan

Minimattvan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

Nice project

You can realy get creative with scrap mini shells, so many possibilitys ....

#10 leigh21

leigh21

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:59 PM

So after a while of doing nothing really productive I have managed to get back some motivation and got back in the garage. I got given a load of 2mm thick angle iron for free which was ideal as I'm trying to build this on a budget.

IMG_7511.jpg
full size image hosting

So once I had a bit of a game plan I started welding the angle iron to the body to reinforce it and stop it flexing, which has done the job lovely, then I made a frame up for the bottom which I put some castor wheels on.

IMG_7518.jpg
IMG_7520.jpg
IMG_7522.jpg
IMG_7528.jpg
full size image hosting

I also removed and smoothed off the number plate light because I think it will annoy me when trying to flip burgers 🤓
Then yesterday I got the whole thing sanded down, filled, primed. Got a few rough edges to sort out then hopefully get the top coat on Saturday all being well. I also welded the fuel neck hole.
IMG_7530.jpg
IMG_7533.jpg
IMG_7538.jpg
IMG_7540.jpg
full size image hosting

So I will be back over the weekend with some more updates. Need to get this finished before summer ends 😳

Edited by leigh21, 20 July 2017 - 06:05 PM.

#11 leigh21

leigh21

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

Managed to get some colour on last night, and those of you that have painted stuff in their garage before will know how difficult it is especially when you get dirt and **** in the paint, so here is a little teaser picture, it needs a bit of flatting and polishing and when that's done I will get some more pictures up.

IMG_7547.jpg
gif upload site

#12 leigh21

leigh21

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

So as promised here are some pictures of the finished paint in all its glory

IMG_7561.jpg
IMG_7563.jpg
photo upload sites

pretty pleased with how it's turned out, I got the wiring in place for the stealth looking LED number plate lights and got LED lights in the rear lights too. I have still got to buy a bumper and a couple of wheels, and make the worktop to go on. I am aiming to have it finished within the next couple of weeks fingers crossed. So watch this space. Thanks for looking.

Edited by leigh21, 24 July 2017 - 05:02 PM.

#13 Lord Lucan

Lord Lucan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

Looking fantastic... Well done. Paint looks ace. Is it going to be a static BBQ or a trailer?

#14 leigh21

leigh21

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

Thanks, it's nice when you get to the stage of putting bits back on seem to gain a bit more motivation. No it's just going to be static in the garden. I completely re did my garden last year and wanted a nice feature and came up with this idea.
Here's what my garden used to look like
IMG_6095.jpg
photo upload sites

And this is it now
IMG_4778.jpg
photo upload sites

(I know you didn't ask to see it, im just proud of it haha)
Thanks again

Edited by leigh21, 24 July 2017 - 05:18 PM.

#15 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

Great work on the BBQ will certainly be a great feature in your lovely garden!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users