#1 Flackman

Flackman

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:30 PM

Hi I have a 97 mpi mini (just restored)

When we first got the car back on the road it was idling very high however I have fixed this problem it was something to do with a valve in the air intake system, anyway now the car is idling back down at around 800-950 (after the choke cuts out for a cold start) however now the car requires me to hold the ignition for at least 10 seconds before it wants to start up, whether the choke is on or off makes no difference I still have to hold the ignition.

After the car starts it runs very smoothly and doesn't seem to run rich or lean, and it will always start it just requires me to hold the ignition. When holding the ignition the starter cranks over and after about 4 seconds the engine fires a little then stops, the starter continues to crank and then after 10 seconds it starts up for good.

Has had new sparks put in with the correct gaps but this didn't fix the problem.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:08 AM

There's no choke on the MPi, it's entirely electronic fuel control. However - it sounds as if it's not catching. Arenall your sensors all properly cleaned and plugs firmly attached? Does the fuel pump prime when you select ignition 2 with the key before engaging the starter motor?

#3 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

I think first of all it has to be clear that the car has no Choke - is it an MPI? Or did you handle the heater knob?

Edited by Alpenflitzer, 27 February 2017 - 11:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users