6 replies to this topic

#1 MiniMan96

MiniMan96

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:55 PM

Hello guys, Right I'll just get straight to it....... I'm going to do a Honda conversion to my 1275GT as I have the perfect blank canvas due to having no front end and no subframe unfortunately due to a crash back in July 2016 I really wanted to get it fixed sooner but I made a few mistakes and money has been a struggle so now that is over I am now ready to start within the next couple of months.

So.... My first question is... Which kit do I go for?

Ideally I would like to fit a D16z6 or D15y8 engine to then turbo it in the future, however for the ease of the conversion a b16a2 or a b18 will do me just fine. I'm not going for huge power as I still want driveability. My main reason for doing this is the fact I need an engine anyway and I want 5 speed with reasonable reliability with low running cost once finished.

Watsons -
Cost - £1600
Based off a metro subframe so not standard mini geometry.
Wide track.
Fits under a clubman front end.
Houses a b series. D series?
Most other components supplied with the kit.

Allspeed -
Cost - over 2k for full kit
Standard geometry
Fits under clubman front
Houses a b series I hear a d series fits with the modification of the gearbox mount bracket
Can keep 10" wheels

I can fit the subframe and engine myself. However I would need a garage to set up the electrical side of the project so a rough Gide price for that would be helpful.

I'm located north east England just to help with garage recommendations for mapping etc.
And obviously being 21 I would like to keep the cost down as much as I can.
Any help/ advice is greatly appreciated.
I will upload some pics of my shell soon to show where I'm at.
Thank you

#2 MiniMan96

MiniMan96

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:37 AM

Here are some pics
Attached File  69BD86B3-97CA-4D39-B08F-6D1138E27463.jpg   91.55K   35 downloads
Attached File  IMG_2873.JPG   77.11K   32 downloadsAttached File  85A23B60-6C45-4AF4-B979-D7964330F642.jpg   52.95K   38 downloads

#3 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Local Club: None yet :(

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

I thought the same thing when I started looking into my build. But I'm going for a b18c4 turbo hopefully! I've started with the bodywork side of mine rather then the engine side mainly because I wanted the roll cage to bolt into the subframe mounts so I could ensure the mini was more ridged.
It seems that d series engines are more plentiful but from what I can gather the b series engine have a higher bhp output once tuning!
I'd advise reading through a lot of b series and d series build logs on the 16v forum so you can get an idea of what you are undertaking and so you are able to find out where the common faults are with the conversion

#4 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:30 PM

If your 21 then I wouldn't be going big with the engine personally. I fitted the Micra 998 to mine and Adrian flux didn't mind at all (was 23at the time). Your saying your not going for huge power yet the engine you chosen is 120+bhp. Plus if your thinking of putting the car on 10s having that 5th gear won't make much difference as 1st will be very short. Just my 2p there, feel free to ignore. 

Lawrence

#5 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

If you're gonna go B series then budget for the 3.4 FD from Watsons. I had a conversion on 10s and regretted not having the FD fitted from the get go. On my next one its on my to do list before the engine goes in. 

With the whole B vs D debate, there is an active thread in the Honda section of the 16vmini site thats a good read. I've heard with the D series the choice of FDs are better meaning you don't have to buy an aftermarket FD which is around 5-600 quid. 

I personally went for the Allspeed kit last time and this time. I like the fact it keeps the mini track. 

Sweet looking Clubby by the way, shame about the little bump! 

Edited by GreaseMonkey, 16 April 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#6 giacomo

giacomo

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

I thought the same thing when I started looking into my build. But I'm going for a b18c4 turbo hopefully! I've started with the bodywork side of mine rather then the engine side mainly because I wanted the roll cage to bolt into the subframe mounts so I could ensure the mini was more ridged.
It seems that d series engines are more plentiful but from what I can gather the b series engine have a higher bhp output once tuning!
I'd advise reading through a lot of b series and d series build logs on the 16v forum so you can get an idea of what you are undertaking and so you are able to find out where the common faults are with the conversion

although b series are the favoured engine for conversions and all the jap boys in there hondas, i wouldn't turn down the d series. It takes to tuning as well as a b series and loves boost all the same to! D series would fit easily compared to a b series too

#7 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:38 PM

Main thing is your not bothered about the mini or metro track - that is usually the initial make or break for most people

Out of the two the metro based track will perform much better round a track if thats your thing, that extra track makes a difference and with a larger choice of wheels available your gear ratios will be much more suited to a stock honda setup so you make a saving on buying final drives

Listen to what monkey says, there are not many people who have actually driven there Allspeed honda minis on 10's, after all that work it can put a large black cloud over the build as the ratios are just going to waste

If keeping 10's is a top priority then the Watsons is out, Watsons is 13's and up. Allspeed is 10's to I would say max 13". You wouldn't want 14's on a standard mini...

B vs D, arsenal vs tottenham, coke vs pepsi, meat vs veggies, all you need to know is either one works and works well, so narrow it down to how you want it to look and where you will drive it and the cost to build 

I know keeping costs down is a main thing, it is with most but you will find it never works out that way. Getting to the point of having as you say five gears, relative reliability and lower running costs (that one is debatable  :lol:  ) will happen but it will cost you to get there, so swings and roundabouts 

Good luck with the road you go down, will also be good to see yours on the road again after a prang and not gone to scrap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users