#1 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

Hello thanks in advance,
I have a R reg Minicooper MPI, all was fine a few weeks ago, now I have lost the heater blower motor, wipers, indicators, hazards, radio all in one go, no power at all, I had a look at the fuse box, and can't spot a single fuse that's blown, it all looks perfect.
Headlights still work and all lights to the rear brakes, sidelights, etc work as well not the indicator bit though,
any one have any ideas?

Cheers
David

#2 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

Not too familiar with MPI and far from my haynes manual but i beleive all those devices work off the same fuse... the fuse might look fine but the connections at the fuse box can get corroded... its caught me out a few times, worth taking a wire brush to them just to be sure.

Edited by Don't Panic, 17 September 2006 - 03:23 PM.

#3 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:28 PM

Thanks I know what you mean with the older minis with just the four fuses, but the MPI has a full fuse box with about 20 fuses in, one for each circuit.

I will take the fuse box off and look at the connections on the rear see if there is any corrosion evident

Cheers
David

#4 Cloverleaf

Cloverleaf

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:43 PM

Have you checked the other inline fuses near the fuse box?

#5 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:28 AM

Have you checked the other inline fuses near the fuse box?

Where do the inline fuses live? Do they supply the fuse box?

Cheers
David

#6 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:27 PM

like i said not familiar with MPi's but if it has 4 inline fuses, they should be at the back of the engine bay either next to the fuse box or on the right hand side. I've had a problem with these being corroded before, pop the metal connectors out the plastic casing and scrub with wire wool... even if they look fine.

I definately sounds like its a fuse or possibly a grounding problem.

#7 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:38 PM

This is the fuse box in the MPI, each circuit is individually fused, so it's strange to me anyway that several items have stopped working

Cheers
David

Edited by R1mini, 30 May 2010 - 03:45 PM.

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:10 PM

like i said not familiar with MPi's

That being the case, with the greatest respect please stop volunteering answers! You're just confusing the issue. The electrical system of the MPI is completely different to all other Minis. The fuse box is inside and so doesn't corrode (much), uses blade fuses and has no inline fuses or other parts.

Sounds to me like you have lost everything served by position 2 of the ignition switch. Could be the ignition switch which has failed or one of the main connections behind the fuse box where the fuses are bussed together. Is anything else amiss (nomatter how seemingly unconnected)? It's a funny old electrical system this one and lots of stuff talks to each other. Try going over the system from the ignition switch on with the multimeter to trace how far power is getting.

I think Sprocket is fairly good with the MPI wiring, try sending him a PM.

Edited by Dan, 18 September 2006 - 07:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users