#1 spud

spud

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Local Club: HMC

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:32 PM

With regards to the pic below, what is the best thing to do with this bit of rot around the hole in the door jamb where the check strap fits into. There is a small bracket rivetted onto the back of it I suppose it 's not impossible to cut out and replace etc but I just wandered if anyone had any ideas?
I've looked in the Moss catalogue but there isn't anything to replace whatever I cut out.
spud.

Must be a tech prob as the pic would not upload...

Edited by spud, 17 September 2006 - 06:30 PM.

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:34 PM

i think i know which bit you mean nad i think m machine do a replacement panel and minispares aswell

like this??

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=32838

#3 spud

spud

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

Attached File  mini_008.jpg   191.49K   9 downloadsThat particular panel is the one which is at right angles to the one I need to sort out. The large hole at the top of the panel you suggest is where the checkstrap fits when the door is closed. The rot on mine can only be seen when the door is open and is the post on which the hinges bolt. I believe the panel you suggest is called a boxing panel.

Cheers,
spud.

It finally works :-

#4 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:28 PM

I made a plate up for ours, just wire brush it back to bare metal and weld in a new plate.

#5 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:19 AM

what nomininolife has written above sounds to me like he is suggesting welding a peice directly over the rot.... DON'T DO THAT! My car had rotted there too I just cut out the entire rotten peice and fabricated a peice the same size with the same holes in it and welded it back in place..... always cut the rotten peices out before putting in new metal.

Al

#6 spud

spud

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:04 AM

Thanks,

Sounds like the only real option I suppose. I take it that the tricky bit is to reweld the checkstrap guide back in the right place :-

Cheers,

spud.

#7 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:07 AM

What I meant is wire brush back to good steel and weld in a piece. I would have said patch if I meant patch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users