7 replies to this topic

#1 jake

jake

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

big problem tonight, in that my ignition key got snapped in half in the igniiton, so i can not start my my 1989 mini, is it possible to replace the ignition where the key goes into, how much will it be, and where can i get the part?
urgent

#2 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:20 PM

you should be able to replace the ignition barrel yourself with not much trouble and it will also not cost the earth either.

Or you could replace the key ignition with a push starter and then you wont need to worry about a key snapping in the ignition at all.

But yeh look around for a ignition barrel there are quite a few around and it will just be a simple swap.

Hope i have helped, Tomm

#3 jake

jake

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

any places you recommend to get one from? or even a button starter?

#4 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:06 PM

There is a member of the forum selling starter buttons in the sale thread (this is who i am getting one from) the whole lot for a tenner.

Or put a wanted add in the wanted section and youll have replies in seconds!

Hope ive helped you in some way mate, Tomm

Edited by tomm, 17 September 2006 - 08:07 PM.

#5 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:09 PM

Heh I was gonna say get a push starter kit for now if not, unscrew the ignition housing..now theres a series of cables goign to the barrel...you need to take off... :-

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:49 AM

OK, you broke the key off in the ignition. Have you tried to fish out the broken part of the key? Years ago in a non-Mini car I had a key break off in the door lock. I was at work and needed help right then. I called a locksmith who came to the scene, fished out the broken piece of key, used Mole-Grips to hold the broken key parts together and filed a new key for me (from a blank) using the broken one as a template. At the time it cost me $50 (25 GPB) which was big money at the time. However, I got home and I didn't have to buy a new lock.

#7 DYO776C

DYO776C

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:41 AM

OK, you broke the key off in the ignition. Have you tried to fish out the broken part of the key? Years ago in a non-Mini car I had a key break off in the door lock. I was at work and needed help right then. I called a locksmith who came to the scene, fished out the broken piece of key, used Mole-Grips to hold the broken key parts together and filed a new key for me (from a blank) using the broken one as a template. At the time it cost me $50 (25 GPB) which was big money at the time. However, I got home and I didn't have to buy a new lock.

Isn't there another issue here though? Yes a button starter gets over the starting issue, but doesn't your car have a steering lock also? Isn't that a requirement for MOT - just asking?

Also of course there is the security issue - anyone can easily get into the car (the door locks are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike), and then start the car easily.

I think if you try hard enough you should be able to get the broken part out as Doug says. Use fine gauge steel wire, or maybe a fine needle. You may even be able to disassemble the lock, and push the broken bit out (not sure about that though).

#8 ceejam

ceejam

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Local Club: Scottish Mini

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:36 AM

You can easily undo the ignition switch to start the car (3 posi screws), but the steering lock is what the key is broken in, and that's more of a problem! If the lock doesn't disengage, the you can't drive the car. if it is permanently disengagd, anyone can jump in and drive off with it! (Mini door locks are not the most secure!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users