#16 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

If your head ruled your heart you would go with the regular stage 3 kit it's exactly the same

#17 aaron339

aaron339

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

I like the idea of the conversion plate number and an official certificate.

#18 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

At the end of the day it's your car and your money don't listen to anyone else except yourself, I do agree the certificate does hold some sway but for me the cost above the stage 3 is to great

#19 aaron339

aaron339

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

I want to make it more of an official tune if that makes sense. I haven't even looked what the price difference is for a stage 3 tune compared to this conversion.

#20 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

The mini sport stage 3 is roughly 1500 and the cooper s works is 2100 now I did notice that the s works kit comes with a maniflow exhaust and the stage 3 comes with a twin box stainless "superflow" exhaust and the stage 3 comes with a k&n filter element ( which I prefer ) and the s works comes with the k&n induction kit, also the s works comes with an oil cooler which isn't really needed but there is an air con s works kit which is slightly cheaper as the cooler is not included either way it's a roughly 600 pounds difference

Edited by cian, 28 March 2017 - 08:15 PM.

#21 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:54 PM

If the plate, certificate and decals are appealing then that in my view is a good enough reason to choose the Cooper kit. Everyone has their own valid preferences on on what they want from their Mini. For those who see them as classic cars then period modifications are very appropriate.

John Cooper was involved with the revival of the Mini Cooper in 1990 and the 'S' conversion was planned from the start with Rover providing a warranty. Cooper developed it with Janspeed but in the later 90s MiniSport took over the output while the kits evolved from carb to injection. The current kits follow the 90s Cooper head specification and differ from MiniSport's own heads.

I have an early carb Cooper conversion but I also have a standard MPi. If I every decide to upgrade then I will want the heritage of the 'S Works' kit.

#22 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:04 AM

It's worth noting that if you retain the standard ECU then you will not gain the true performance increases from the new mechanical parts. So you need to consider changing this too

#23 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

Absolutely correct James

#24 eric.sen

eric.sen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

The other problem is that it is a "kit",

And you have not the choise of the parts you really need :

And if you already have some parts like the LCB, the exhaust system, the air filter...

You must have to pay to get them twice....

But you cannot buy just the more important : the cylinder head, the hi lift rockers,

but you canbuy some goodies like the air induction and the stickers !!!!! :proud:

#25 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

If you haven't seen it, you may want to checkout Jame's youtube video plus his update which gives a helpful and honest review. James is also an active member on TMF if you want to try and get in touch with him.

#26 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

Its a tricky one but as many have said - do it if its what you want to do.  I thought about it but went down the engine rebuild/rebore to 1293cc, stage 4 head, 274 cam which worked out cheaper (I dropped the car off and 2 weeks later, drove it away complete).  There's definitely something about having a genuine Cooper S Works kit though!

#27 aaron339

aaron339

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

It's worth noting that if you retain the standard ECU then you will not gain the true performance increases from the new mechanical parts. So you need to consider changing this too

If I need a new ecu to get the full performance then that's what I'll do, I will be keeping all the original parts so it's no problem.

#28 aaron339

aaron339

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

The other problem is that it is a "kit",
And you have not the choise of the parts you really need :
And if you already have some parts like the LCB, the exhaust system, the air filter...
You must have to pay to get them twice....
But you cannot buy just the more important : the cylinder head, the hi lift rockers,
but you canbuy some goodies like the air induction and the stickers !!!!! :proud:

The only thing I have on my mini at the mo is the air filter so I wouldn't have 2 of something else. If I did then I'm sure someone on here is looking for some bits

#29 aaron339

aaron339

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

Its a tricky one but as many have said - do it if its what you want to do.  I thought about it but went down the engine rebuild/rebore to 1293cc, stage 4 head, 274 cam which worked out cheaper (I dropped the car off and 2 weeks later, drove it away complete).  There's definitely something about having a genuine Cooper S Works kit though!

You hit the nail on the head, it's the whole genuine part that is selling it for me, I know I could get the bits probably cheaper and increase the power the same or more but for me it's not about that.

#30 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

Is that correct, I know that the Grand Prix used a web alpha then later a re-mapped Rover ECU but I thought the later S conversions ran from the standard Rover ECU?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users