2 replies to this topic

#1 darkcat

darkcat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

I'm just nearing the end of my build and unpacked the Sportspack arches i got from Minisport.

Eew.

They are really soft, and lumpy, so I've given them a sand back with 400-grit and a layer of plastic primer. 

However, I'm using Cellulose paint - I assume that's just going to crack, either immediately or quickly. 

What sort of paint (if any) is actually suitable?

#2 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:18 PM

Personally I would not fit them and find some fibreglass copys. I've got the same ones lurking in the garage, fitted one and painted it. Was horrible.

I used plastic primer and cheap celly spray cans and it was fine tho. But there are others on here whom are better at the paintwork department.

#3 bluedragon

bluedragon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

You should use a urethane-based paint (with a flex additive if the paint requires it for flexible plastic parts.) If you don't have a good respirator and mask to protect your lungs when spraying, absolutely avoid any paint with isocyanates.

Barring a urethane, look for any sort of paint with a flex additive. A long time ago flex additives were available for celluose (aka lacquer) but I'm not sure if they're available anymore. Whatever the paint type, a flex additive will prevent the paint from cracking (especially celluose - you're right, this stuff will just crack off without a flex additive to make it more pliable.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users